Is the EGR. Delete good

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good job being outraged for someone else. :D

df2x4's answer was accurate and not a lecture.. in fact I didn't see any lectures, except you lecturing us, so now I'm lecturing you about lecturing.

Unplugging the vacuum line to see how it responds isn't an effective test. If the spring inside the EGR valve is broken or weak, it can still open on its own, partially functioning (generally when it should not.) A true test to see how it would act when removed, is to...remove it, and install a block-off plate.

Retarding base timing a little bit may help prevent ping. A custom tune to address spark advance would do better. It would also cost a lot more than simply having a functioning EGR.

Richard
I wasn’t referring to df2x4. He gave a useful answer.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wasn’t referring to df2x4. He gave a useful answer.

Thank you, but to be fair I don't think Erik's reply was bad either. I agree with his approach, don't fix it if it ain't broke. I don't think anyone's trying to be preachy here, the original question was pretty vague.

I blocked off my EGR and added HLC (Hywy Lean Cruise) where I go to around 16.7 AFR and 42* advanced based on MPH and TPS feedback. In data logging I get zero KCs and they say you'll gain 10% MPGs. As for the argument the EGR reduces NOx, it does. So does a 3-way Cat, which I have.:waytogo:

I'm curious about the process for disabling EGR via TunerPro on the older TBI PCMs. Is it a simple on/off toggle in the software?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about the process for disabling EGR via TunerPro on the older TBI PCMs. Is it a simple on/off toggle in the software?
Yep, Here's a snip from a stock bin (AMUR) for a 7747 ECM. The "Patches" are shown to the left.

The BPW (for the Injectors) & SA Hack is so you can see these when data logging. Otherwise the data doesn't make sense.

HLC has parameters like MPH to enable, timing table, AFR table, etc.

EGR Disable is a simple on/off deal.

You must be registered for see images attach

The EBL Flash-II has similar options, except BPW & SA since it's already configured for that stuff.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He said he wants to block off the EGR without hurting the engine. I don’t see how that’s vague? He didn’t ask about smog emissions.

I guess it wasn't so much the question that was vague, it was more a lack of supporting info. Gains from deleting EGR on a completely stock engine would be pretty negligible, and disabling EGR in the PCM may not be the easiest or cheapest thing in the world depending on the year of the truck (which we don't know, because the original poster didn't tell us). Depending on the situation keeping the EGR intact might be a better option. I don't see any harm in trying to save someone a headache.

Yep, Here's a snip from a stock bin (AMUR) for a 7747 ECM. The "Patches" are shown to the left.

The BPW (for the Injectors) & SA Hack is so you can see these when data logging. Otherwise the data doesn't make sense.

HLC has parameters like MPH to enable, timing table, AFR table, etc.

EGR Disable is a simple on/off deal.

You must be registered for see images attach

The EBL Flash-II has similar options, except BPW & SA since it's already configured for that stuff.

Thanks for that! I've read that it's a similar procedure on the '96+ black box PCMs with other software.

Shon350Hodges

Reaction score
The title of the post, "Is the EGR. Delete good" and the single sentence question, "I want to block off my egr but don't want to hurt my engine", are relatively unclear. The very first word of my post:

It helps to know why he wants to eliminate the EGR. If it's malfunctioning, it doesn't take much to get it working correctly.
. It throw a code. So what can I do to fix it

10mm Nut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have yet to even mention what year your truck is. No one knows if it's OBD1 or OBD2.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It throw a code. So what can I do to fix it
It needs to be tuned out so the ECM/PCM doesn't try to open it or change the timing, and look for AFR changes.

You have yet to even mention what year your truck is. No one knows if it's OBD1 or OBD2.
Good point! That make the difference between "burning" a chip or "flashing" the PCM. Also what software/programmer you use.

Postmech

Reaction score
In 1978 I bought a new Z/28, took that nasty EGR off because it had to run better, right? Nope !!! Could not tell any difference in performance and it went from 17 mpg to 14 mpg. Modern engines are a system, unless you modify the engine or PCM program it's better to leave it working as is. And yes I get that this is not an apples to apples comparison.