Is the EGR. Delete good

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you can cook your cats, because it aids in exhaust gas temp? Some one will correct me if I am wrong. Stay tuned, don't touch that dial.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can delete it, but if you do you'll need to tune your PCM accordingly to prevent the possibility of pinging/detonation at part throttle.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to block off my egr but don't want to hurt my engine
Why? It's not like it'll gain you 50 hp. I'm not running EGR because my Summit intake doesn't have provisions for it, but if I still had the stock manifold I'd run it. The EGR system reduces oxides of nitrogen in your exhaust, which cause acid rain.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to block off my egr but don't want to hurt my engine

How about some lectures instead of an actual answer? I see others have that covered.

To your actual question, I’m not sure if it would actually harm your engine. Possibly you could get pinging. You can unplug the vacuum line and see how it runs with it closed all the time.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about some lectures instead of an actual answer? I see others have that covered.

The title of the post, "Is the EGR. Delete good" and the single sentence question, "I want to block off my egr but don't want to hurt my engine", are relatively unclear. The very first word of my post:
It helps to know why he wants to eliminate the EGR. If it's malfunctioning, it doesn't take much to get it working correctly.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

To your actual question, I’m not sure if it would actually harm your engine. Possibly you could get pinging. You can unplug the vacuum line and see how it runs with it closed all the time.
Good job being outraged for someone else. :D

df2x4's answer was accurate and not a lecture.. in fact I didn't see any lectures, except you lecturing us, so now I'm lecturing you about lecturing.

Unplugging the vacuum line to see how it responds isn't an effective test. If the spring inside the EGR valve is broken or weak, it can still open on its own, partially functioning (generally when it should not.) A true test to see how it would act when removed, is to...remove it, and install a block-off plate.

Retarding base timing a little bit may help prevent ping. A custom tune to address spark advance would do better. It would also cost a lot more than simply having a functioning EGR.

Richard

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I blocked off my EGR and added HLC (Hywy Lean Cruise) where I go to around 16.7 AFR and 42* advanced based on MPH and TPS feedback. In data logging I get zero KCs and they say you'll gain 10% MPGs. As for the argument the EGR reduces NOx, it does. So does a 3-way Cat, which I have.:waytogo: