Is my TH400 dying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pmndlt

Reaction score
Hey All, 1988 GMC C3500 RCSW. Truck has 91KMS 5.7L TH400. Recent tune up; plugs, wires, cap, distributor. Truck runs ok but recently have noticed when driving at constant speed the Transmission hesitates/surges... I think. Into second gear at 40KMS (+/-25MPH) the truck RPM jumps without shifting. I've got a Snappy scanner (MT2500) and the increase is consistent at 300RPM increase/decrease. It eventually shifts and the engine speed evens out. At higher speeds there is no issue at all, highway and pushing it, it runs well and shifts fine. Only happens at slower speeds. No noticeable shift noise or delay just the fluctuating RPM. It's mostly a nuisance. When I got the truck last year I changed the fluids and gasket but have had no issues until recently. Heard the TH400 was bulletproof and really don't want to blame it. Any thoughts? TIA.

pmndlt

Reaction score
@618 Syndicate thanks for the reply. TBH I read up on previous posts and Im not sure about terminology. It sounds like it though. While maintaining constant throttle it surges speed (300 RPM) until I apply more pressure and the truck shifts. But at higher speeds it does not. Is this what you refer to as flaring?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a normal shifting auto, hold the throttle steady and the rpm drops when it shifts. Flaring is an increase in rpm before that drop, even with no increase in throttle.
Does that make sense?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like shift flare to me. Sounds like the engine doesn't run right, surging before the shift.

I'd want to drive the thing to be sure.

Shift flare happens AS the trans is shifting--not before, not after. You get to the "top" of whatever gear you're in, you'd expect a shift to the next gear, and instead you get several hundred extra RPM you don't expect, for just an instant...and then it drops into the next gear.

pmndlt

Reaction score
Thanks @Schurkey for the response. If you were closer I’d swing by so you could test drive lol. Any suggestions on what to look at engine wise while Ive got it inside checking the transmission?