Is it wrong...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If LMC is sending you Christmas cards, you're sending them too much money.
When I worked at the Nissan dealership, if a customer got a free calendar with a picture of them and their salesman, you knew they got their heads knocked off on the deal. Then I went to visit my grandma and step-grandpa and he showed me the calendar he got with his car. Facepalm moment.

I can't see spending 350-500 for a used dash that may crack when I install it, or start falling apart shortly afterwards.
If you're scared of old plastic, hit the piece with some vinyl paint before you install it. I use Duplicolor and I've found that it stops the deterioration and helps refresh the plastic.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you're scared of old plastic, hit the piece with some vinyl paint before you install it. I use Duplicolor and I've found that it stops the deterioration and helps refresh the plastic.
If you saw just how brittle this stuff was, you wouldn't put any faith whatsoever in any product preventing it from turning to bits. It blew my mind just how bad this dash got. Like breaking sugar glass.

Richard

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each time I look at my absolutely destroyed, nearly non-existent dash, I think about that LMC dash and the price (esp w/shipping) still floors me. If I didn't used to have a yard full of these trucks with several good/decent dashes ready to go, maybe I'd have a different perspective. Time changes everything and there aren't that many really cheap parts trucks anymore, and I don't have anywhere to put them now anyway..

Today, people are selling used dashes for what I've paid in the past for whole trucks. I can't see spending 350-500 for a used dash that may crack when I install it, or start falling apart shortly afterwards. Maybe one of these days I'll make myself buy an LMC dash.

Richard
Yes. The GMT400 market is insane these days. I got my crack free dash for $65 at the yard and it was the color I needed. I got everything else from that trucks interior for an additional $75.

The OBS for sale groups on FB are good for parts but expect to pay a premium, as you pointed out.

I finally sold my gray seats and the buyer said he was going to flip them since he didn’t really need them. So I didn’t feel bad about getting $300 for them even though I had them listed here super cheap.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. The GMT400 market is insane these days. I got my crack free dash for $65 at the yard and it was the color I needed. I got everything else from that trucks interior for an additional $75.

The OBS for sale groups on FB are good for parts but expect to pay a premium, as you pointed out.

I finally sold my gray seats and the buyer said he was going to flip them since he didn’t really need them. So I didn’t feel bad about getting $300 for them even though I had them listed here super cheap.
Sometimes it seems painfully obvious to me that I shut the shop down too early to go help my little brother with his. However, if I'd stuck with it, my prices would've needed to increase, of course, to keep pace with the cost of keeping the yard stocked. Plus, I was busting my ass day and night to keep things going over there as a 1-man operation. Once you start thinking about employees then things get a whole lot more complicated. There were more than a few factors that had me ready to close the doors but on the other hand I did feel a sense of accomplishment that it lasted as long as it did.

Richard

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This. The only big thing I’ve bought from them was my new dash and associated hardware/paint supplies….which was enough for them to send me a Christmas card I guess lol
Bought one for my 88 k1500, worth it - especially the glove box fix. I should have painted it before i installed it but hey, why do things right the first time when you can build character by doing it three times instead :) .The dark blue duplicolor paint has done a nice job with everything else i have done for the interior and If I have to take it out again (please no...) i will do it with the duplicolor - works well. I buy everything i can find on rockauto.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dark blue duplicolor paint has done a nice job with everything else i have done for the interior and If I have to take it out again (please no...) i will do it with the duplicolor - works well.
Paint the top of the dash with satin paint, not gloss. WCJr's dash creates a nasty glare on the windshield. The dash for Roscoe is gloss, but satin on the top.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Paint the top of the dash with satin paint, not gloss. WCJr's dash creates a nasty glare on the windshield. The dash for Roscoe is gloss, but satin on the top.
100% agreed. Gloss on top of a dash is terrible. Even factory dashes when someone soaks 'em down in Armor-All, makes a terrible glare on the windshield in the sunlight.

Richard