Is a 383 stroker tbi with Edelbrock 2096 possible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 350 4 bolt main .030 over .

Before I spend all kinds of money I wanted everyone’s opinion. From all the research I’ve done, I can turn this into a 383 tbi.

Eagle makes the .030 over stroker kit, I would use this with 6” rods

For the entire top end use the Edelbrock 2096 package HOWEVER the intake manifold would be incorrect and I would have to purchase the Edelbrock 3704 intake because of the tbi hassle.

Also upgrade fuel pump and the throttle body injectors.

On the truck at the moment there is the K&n pan styled intake filter, jba shorty headers, and flowmaster high flow cat and catback which by rights would connect to these heads

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Before I spend all kinds of money I wanted everyone’s opinion. From all the research I’ve done, I can turn this into a 383 tbi.

As long as the pistons have correct clearance to the cylinder walls, and the right pin height to use with 6" rods and still have proper quench distance with the head gasket you're going to use, and the whole works is appropriately balanced.

I'm not fond of Eagle, but others use their products and seem satisfied.

For the entire top end use the Edelbrock 2096 package HOWEVER the intake manifold would be incorrect and I would have to purchase the Edelbrock 3704 intake because of the tbi hassle.
First Guess: The intake manifold bolt angle for the middle two bolts on each side will not match up with the bolt hole drillings in the heads.

And re-tune the ECM chip. Maybe play games with the fuel pressure regulator.

Dicking with the ECM is why I'm not straying far from stock with my '88 K1500. I installed headers, high-flow catalyst and entire exhaust system, and a Caprice roller-cam service-replacement engine with a little more compression. Had ZERO problems with the ECM tune. Ran perfect, but not a huge improvement in power.

The Caprice engine knocks after ~90K miles, so it's getting a Vortec short-block including stock Vortec cam. Probably Summit aluminum heads. And I'm hoping I don't need to do any ECM tuning this time, too.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-162108/overview/

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

On the truck at the moment there is the K&n pan styled intake filter, jba shorty headers, and flowmaster high flow cat and catback which by rights would connect to these heads
I have geard good things about Scat. If you didnt have to have the chevy style TBI you could sell that system and buy a Holley, Fast, Edelbrock, or MSD EFI set up, most come with a fuel pump amd everything you need, and you get better MPG with out sacrificing power.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
1st off, Assuming your trying to do this to a TBI block, your gonna need to make sure you have a block that has provisions for a roller cam as I believe many or most of the trucks have flat tappet cams from the factory. if it doesent, you'll have to buy retro roller lifters which cost a left nut, or if there are un-tapped bosses in the lifter valley, those will have to be drilled and tapped refer to this video
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

2nd. No friggin way that TBI is gonna handle over 400hp even with bigger injectors, you will have to step up to either a self tuning efi, or a carb.... now if you do that, assuming you have a electronically controlled trans, you'll have to get a trans controller, or find another way to get a TPS to communicate with the transmission.

also you cant use the edelbrock 3704 manifold on vortec heads, the bolt pattern and angle is different. SPR performance makes an adapter plate for the manifold in your link.

Ive probably left somethings out, but I think thats enough Dream crushing for today.

ive extensively researched everything needed to get around 350- 400 hp 400-450 tq out of a TBI block, the answer to me is a different block, different fuel injection system.

Someones gonna say Ls Swap soon, I can feel it.

Last edited:

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
1st off, Assuming your trying to do this to a TBI block, your gonna need to make sure you have a block that has provisions for a roller cam as I believe many or most of the trucks have flat tappet cams from the factory. if it doesent, you'll have to buy retro roller lifters which cost a left nut, or if there are un-tapped bosses in the lifter valley, those will have to be drilled and tapped refer to this video
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

2nd. No friggin way that TBI is gonna handle over 400hp even with bigger injectors, you will have to step up to either a self tuning efi, or a carb.... now if you do that, assuming you have a electronically controlled trans, you'll have to get a trans controller, or find another way to get a TPS to communicate with the transmission.

also you cant use the edelbrock 3704 manifold on vortec heads, the bolt pattern and angle is different. SPR performance makes an adapter plate for the manifold in your link.

Ive probably left somethings out, but I think thats enough Dream crushing for today.

ive extensively researched everything needed to get around 350- 400 hp 400-450 tq out of a TBI block, the answer to me is a different block, different fuel injection system.

Someones gonna say Ls Swap soon, I can feel it.

The Block will handle the Hp it is the induction system that won't support it. Changing to a Vortec block really gets you nothing other than drilled bosses for the tappet spider.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
The kit # you gave comes with cylinder heads, maybe you could have them ported. Also, I looked it up the intake is a Vortec bolt pattern.

I did not give a kit # in this thread ,you must have me confused with some one else.:think: