Interior light problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Javlin42

Reaction score
Seems to be quite an issue after searching on the forum but to anyone that may have had a similar issue, here's mine.

1995 Tahoe LT 4x4 2 door

Courtney lights work in the floor work, with the switch and when the door opens. Glove box light works.

The rear and front dome light, as well as the map lights in the overhead console do not.

The bulbs are good. Now my powerprobe shows all "power wires" at the dome/map to be grounded. So somewhere ive got a wiring issue. Its not a dead short because the fuse is not blown and the floor lights work and are bright. I can apply power directly to the dome light via power probe and all the overhead lights come on but are super dim.

This is a problem more than likely going to be specific to my situation however I figured I'd post here to see if anyone had had this issue.

Javlin42

Reaction score
I got a chance to start digging into this today. I'll also add that I have no power at the power mirror switch or in either door for those lights

And if I pull the #3 fuse out, I'm not showing that it's grounded at the fuse. But any of the orange wires in the headliner I'm showing continuity to ground. That's at the overhead console map lights, the front dome and rear dome.

So in total I have the floor lights that come on, the glove box light, and both of the vanity lights in the sun visors

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What happens when you rotate the dimmer switch at headlight panel? Courtesy fuse also powers mirror functions. And the dome override button in or out?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OE service manual 95 book #2, section 8-114 interior lighting, diagnosis, wire digrams , and item locations.

Javlin42

Reaction score
What happens when you rotate the dimmer switch at headlight panel? Courtesy fuse also powers mirror functions. And the dome override button in or out?
Just the under dash lights come on. No dome, and mirrors still don't work. I'm trying to locate the junction of where all the wires split from. Because I can unplug the harness at the kick, and apply power and turn the overhead lights on and they work fine. Plug the harness back in and apply power and they are all dim

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It would be easier for you to get the OE service manuals , in the sticky above the free PDF for the library we have here, the 95 has two books, in book two electrical , horns, int lighting, turn signals, so forth. . Is a very complete , circuit diagrams and a logic tree to diagnose problem. As the Suburban , Yukon has with or w/o aux lighting, with or w/o overhead console depends on which diagram. It would easier for you to try some diagnosis with the OE rather than guessing, " could be this " or " could be that".
Since you can power the circuit manually and get a good result it leads me to believe it's something in the control side. That's where the circuit diagrams are best. Get the books so you can use this. Example.
You must be registered for see images attach

Javlin42

Reaction score
This is the point I'm trying to locate. Because I've checked what I believe is everything up to and after this

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your screen capture is not legible. Did you get the service manuals? The GM diagrams have grounds a splices marked and the chart gives there locations. Your diagram does not identify any splice. Do your door courtesy lights work, the red white combo on door? If your not using the OE I can't help you, and your screen capture is no good.