intake problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Are you setting the intake gaskets in place when you check the alignment? You wouldn't think it, but just those thin gaskets still make a big difference in how much it "looks" like it needs removing versus setting gaskets in place. Put a drop of silicone on each side of intake port on heads and use that to hold gaskets straight for ya.

Also, if your heads or block were machined atall, your intake may need it's flange machined also. Check to make sure your ports are lined up when you set the intake on the heads.

chevyboy1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes i used black gasket maker to align my holes and ports i put it on the gaskets and put all the bolts in to press the gasket. after it dried over night i started to get the bolt holes aligned and it seems like its going to be impossible im going to try more today to get it done.thank every body for the help ill post progress tonight and pics

chevyboy1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok this is what ive accomplished i bought some dremel bits to take off the metal that had to go instead of just boring a huge hole.i was doing it bit by bit and all of a sudden it got paper thin. i stopped and i blew it off to set it on the engine to see how it would fit it cracked so i am on the look for a new one.my only option i have left is to get soem camaro heads i guess.any input?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Damn!!! I just got back from Birmingham too.....You have stock tbi heads right? If you're wanting to swap heads, that would be a VERY good idea. If you go with vortec heads, make sure they've been tested for cracks before paying for them, vortec heads are bad about that. If ya go with camaro heads, you'll have to find yourself another intake to match. The only problem I can see with the camaro heads is that depending on the cast, they could have smaller intake runners than the truck heads.

I would also suggest a cam swap while you're in there. I don't know what cam you chose, but a high lift cam with a good overlap will give ya tons of off-idle power.

chevyboy1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes i have the stock tbi 193 heads.i have the intake off of a 88 trans am the camaros had the same intake. so if i found a set of tpi camaro heads they would bolt right up.i already have a k12-235-2 comp cams cam kit in the engine.and i will stick with it but i do appreciate the advice i ordered the cam a while back and it was what summit recommended me.but its not computer compatible.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
You're right, but I mentioned them because it sounded like you needed a new intake anyways.