intake problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyboy1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok everybody i have a 95 chevy engine i rebuilt it and i bought a 88 trans am tpi intake.i tried to mount it up yesterday and the middle set of bolts are angled different to mount it to the heads.how do i get it mounted up?are the center bolts necessary ?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes the center bolt's are needed, you can take a drill and reangle the center 4 bolt's 2 on each side of the intake, just go slowly and test fit as you go, making sure to clean off shaving's before you set it on the engine. I have done this modification several times with no problem's.

chevyboy1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok thanks i have drilled and drilled and it seems like they wont match up. i feel like im about to shatter the manifold if i keep going because its getting very thin.this is how im doing it. i sit the intake up on the engine and i bought 4 bolts that are all thread no heads on them and they are the same thread as the actual bolts (i made sure) and i sit the intake onto those bolts but it seems like if i keep going im gonna crack it. is there a better way of doing this or am i doing it like i should be.once again thanks for the help

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It sound's like something is wrong, I have never had to elongate the holes that much, also when you are done I suggest you put a flat washer under the head to spread the load of the bolt out. Can you post a pic?

chevyboy1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes ill post pics tomorrow.i always use washers to try not to overload one spot and try to spread the pressure.the front 4 bolts and rear 4 bolts match up greatly but its just the two center sets.i am afraid to take off too much.the angles are a lot different than the front and rear sets

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Maybe try a die grinder with a stone bit to take off the necessary metal, it's much easier on the aluminum that a big drill bit. Also, it's not easier, but will keep the bolt head at the right angle if you either use an angled washer or if you recess one side of the hole so the bolt sits more flush with the top of the intake. Be careful though, when recessing, only take off the bare minimal or your intake will be too thin.

chevyboy1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea i have a die grinder with burs that i used to port and polish my heads.i used them but ive honestly used them and drill bits and im still no where near close to what i have to do

chevyboy1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i am about ready to send it to someone i try to do most of my stuff myself that way i know how its doen and if its done right or not.alot of car shops around here do stuff half way

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have alway's tired to use the same size drill bit as the original hole so that I don't widen the hole any, and then tilt the drill and elongate the hole just enough to allow the bolt's to start, I do ususally make several trip's over to set it on the motor to check to see if it's enough so I don't take any more material than neccessary.