Intake help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have recently picked up a 1996 K1500, long story short, it needs an engine and transmission. Transmission I have covered, but the engine, I want to do something different. I thought about an LT1 swap (staying away from LS, due to personal experience and preferences) but quickly fell through due to no one has much support on that swap anymore. So I looked the other way, TPI swap. And with a little digging around, I have found this TPI to Vortec intake manifold, and wanted to see if anyone has put this manifold on a canaro/Vette, so on, and had much success?

https://sdparts.com/i-23896057-sdpc-sd3816-tpi-vortec-lower-intake-baseplate.html

I think it would be different, and would perform well due to the runners, and the characteristics of the vortec heads, but I could be very wrong.

Background on the truck, it is a 1996 K1500, 5.7/4l60e, looking to build more toward the torque side, so I'm looking at the XE264HR from COMP cams, 6" rods, and going to shoot for a .030 overbore. But everything is subject to change

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks in advance

-Justin

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been debating using a tuned port intake aswell, other than connections hooking up in different places and the a/c manifold hose being too close to the throttlebody it seems like it will work but only trying it would verify.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been debating using a tuned port intake aswell, other than connections hooking up in different places and the a/c manifold hose being too close to the throttlebody it seems like it will work but only trying it would verify.
If you want low end then TPI is the way to go. LT1 is more like a miniram intake and breathes better up top.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, but AC lines can be made, and what's a Benjamin or two when I'm spending this much on an engine already?

If you want low end then TPI is the way to go. LT1 is more like a miniram intake and breathes better up top.
Exactly, although the LT1 also makes great torque when paired to the correct cam. But, when all is said and done, a LT1 would be better suited if I were building a 2wd hotrod, not a 4wd truck that's going to be 'used as a truck' as most people say

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one i was going to use a factory take off from an f-body car and dual bolt pattern heads that flow a little better than stock vortecs. Hoping it will be a win-win, save money and upgrade heads.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ouch $400 for that scoggin dickey lower intake manifold is rough though
Yeah, they arent cheap, going 5o be scrounging around on flea bay until the time comes to put the engine together to see if I can find one cheaper, but no guarantee for that lol

The one i was going to use a factory take off from an f-body car and dual bolt pattern heads that flow a little better than stock vortecs. Hoping it will be a win-win, save money and upgrade heads.
I thought about that too, but I already have a set of ported vortec heads, with 2.02/1.5 valves that I was planning on running, and I'll end up spending just as much to rebuild a set of f body heads than what the adapter intake costs.