Intake Gasket Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim's 72

Reaction score
Just to add a lil info, be sure to check the intake bolts for corrosion. Mainly the ones around the coolant passages. We have a fleet of vortec 305's so we do these on almost a daily basis. We keep intake bolts in stock because 9 times out of ten, they will be eaten away right about the middle of the threads.
A 15mm gearwrench will pay for itself when used to get the last mounting bolt off the back of the pass side head for the wire harness support..
Spray the egr tube with pb blaster or something before you even drain the coolant and be sure the wrench is on straight. They round off very easily and if they do....have fun lol
And for those that don't already know, there are upgraded injectors available to solve the clogging problem...now is the time....
Hope some of this helps someone out there..
Jim

Reaction score
I have a 98 GMC Z71 also. Did the change and it took about 6 hours, but I let it set for 24 hours to cure.
Did a friend of my fathers in about 4 hours.
Not a bad job to do at all, just alot of wires to dig through
Very nice, complete write up

bredstein

Reaction score
If anyone has any questions just post up. I posted most of my pics but i have a few more than i didn't so if you have a specific question about a step just let me know. And good luck with your install.
Thanks for such a good write up. I was going through a similar thing, and apparently have misplaced one bolt. It is in the back on the driver's side of the upper manifold, and it holds a bracket for the EGR hose. Could you please tell me what kind of a bolt it is - a stud with another threaded length on top, or just a bolt? If I do not find it, is it possible to buy as a part, or I could just grab whatever fits at Home Depot? Thank you.

Charby

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i did mine a few months back, that heater hose quick conect fitting that is known to break, they actuialy make a tool to remove the broken one because it is so comon, its a spline tool that you hammer in and then use a ratchet to take it out took 2 minuts to remove!:)