Installing transmission temp sensor and gauge on a 1992 chev 3/4 with automatic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kernst52

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to the forum and hope to learn more about how to maintain and improve my recently purchased 1992 3/4-ton truck. We recently bought a travel trailer that is 4880 pounds dry. I have had past problems with the transmission overheating on a 1981 3/4 ton in the mountains. Thought I should get ahead of this and install a temp gauge so I can keep track of the transmission temperature in the mountains. I see it has a transmission cooler added on already. Any suggestions on what to buy would be helpful. Don't want anything fancy.

Oh yeah, how do I know which transmission I have in this rig? The driver's door has been changed so any ID tag on the door would be for another truck.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas all.

Ken

Last edited:

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I'm guessing here, but it would most likely be a th400 derivative, like an 80 series trans(eg. 4L80).

fun4me

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it has a t.v. cable it is a 700r4 if it doesn't it will be a 4l60e.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I kinda figured a 60 series would be too lightweight for a 3/4 ton truck....especially since there was no need for lightweight parts(usually used for performance)in a truck built to work. If it's the stock trans and it's a 4L80E, you should have NO problem atall with it unless it hasn't been taken care of, those are damn good trannies for what you're seemingly looking to use it for. Ya got pics of this truck?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am running a 2 1/16" autometer Ultra-lite trans temp gauge in an A-piller pod. Was a cheap enough gauge and simple to install too. Not sure on the 4L80 but the 700R4s/4L60E's there is a pressure port on the drivers side of trans and temp sensor can be installed there.

Swaggerwagon

¯\(°_o)/¯
Reaction score
I am running a 2 1/16" autometer Ultra-lite trans temp gauge in an A-piller pod. Was a cheap enough gauge and simple to install too. Not sure on the 4L80 but the 700R4s/4L60E's there is a pressure port on the drivers side of trans and temp sensor can be installed there.

The same port is on the 80...

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A stock 92 3/4 ton will have a 4L80E auto trans...

Totally depends on which GVWR 3/4 ton.

7200's have the 700R4/60e in 92 (first year change form 700R4 to 60e).
8600's have the 80e (91+).

Eitherway there is a test port as mentioned to plug into to get a temperature reading from.

kernst52

Reaction score
It is the lighter truck and transmission

I did some research and got some pictures of the trannys possible on this 3/4 ton and yes, it is the lighter duty 700R or whatever followed in 1992. It has, I believe, 4 speeds and an overdrive gear. I see the port on the driver's side. Since it is the lighter duty I will put in a temp sensor and gauge so I can monitor it over the mountains. I have been told to keep it out of overdrive while towing and under load. If I have temperature problems while towing I will go to a bigger cooler; this one looks a bit small.

Thanks for all the help with straightening this out.

Ken