Info wanted on V6 to V8 swap please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RollingTerd

Reaction score
So I have a 96 K1500 4.3 right. Due to the fact you can't find motor mounts for this particular truck, I was thinking of putting a 5.7 vortec in it. I have searched the forum some and come up empty handed. Certainly this swap has been done before right? I mean not a carbed 350 but vortec version. Any thoughts, guidance, or other wise input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

RollingTerd

Reaction score
While there is good information in that thread, it's not the direction I'm wanting to go. Don't take this the wrong way, but in my thinking throwing a carburated ANYTHING in a vehicle is pretty straight forward. I'm more interested in going from a 4.3 vortec to a 5.7 vortec. I'm planning on having the complete engine harness and ecu. I guess the first question that comes to mind is will 350 exhaust manifolds bolt to the 4.3 y pipe? I have my doubts but then again I was hoping some one has done this and could shed some light. I'm sure there is more to it then remove and replace.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It should. A 4.3 is a 350 - 2 cylinders. Are you going TBI to TBI or Vortec to Vortec. This would be easier than going TBI to Vortec or vise versa. The TBI 350s had a Y pipe exhaust I think. Not sure about the sizes though.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What tranny do you have? If you have a auto then you have a mild stall converter by reusing your V6 converter. With a stick you need a V8 flywheel because they are balanced differently. Are you opposed to doing an LS swap instead? At a minimum you'll need the V8 frame side engine mountsand radiator shroud. I would upgrade to a 34" radiator and electric fans but that is me. I'm 50% certain that the exhaust is different (I don't recall how the exhaust drops on the the cpfi 4.3. Obviously you'll need a complete vortec 350. I would use a 98+ due to tuning options within the pcm. Honestly I would use an 0411 computer. Theoretically you could add the extra wires and for the injectors and run a V8 computer on your current harness, you may have to extend some of the wiring that runs up to the crankshaft sensor, ac and alternator.

RollingTerd

Reaction score
I want to do the least amount of modding as possible. The original plan was to replace the 4.3 that slug a rod. But like I mentioned earlier mounts wound that up. This truck is an old farm truck I'm trying to get going for a friend. With that being said I'm not realy interested in mods or performance, just want to get this truck back on the road the quickest way possible.

ala.frosty

Reaction score
If you're going to the trouble of swapping in a V8, I'd suggest making it a gen 3 LM7 (drive-by-cable '00 - '02). To go from 4.3 to 5.7, you need to change the computer and wiring harness anyway, so jump up to a cheaper, more modern and more fuel efficient engine in the process. The 4L60E in your truck will work with the 5.3 just fine. There's a whole facebook group dedicated to exactly this swap.