Info needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Then he must have a hold-over 4L60. Ive heard that a very, very small sub-population of gm vehicles produced in 94 that have 4L60s but have never seen actually seen one.
Lots of stories around but I'll take that one on a proof-only basis, since the 4L60E hit the scene for 1993 models. The only possible exception I could imagine would be some oddball fleet/government contract vehicle that would also have numerous other variances from regular production.

OP says they do have the glovebox just not handy. The RPO's will tell the story. If the label isn't legible (which is common on 1988-1994 due to placement) then the VIN might still be on record with GM and the build sheet can be pulled through Compnine or a friendly dealer. In fact I'd suggest having that info checked before it is no longer available. Older trucks have dropped off, I've noticed. Years ago I wasn't able to pull a number of early gmt400 VIN's.

Richard

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of stories around but I'll take that one on a proof-only basis, since the 4L60E hit the scene for 1993 models. The only possible exception I could imagine would be some oddball fleet/government contract vehicle that would also have numerous other variances from regular production.

OP says they do have the glovebox just not handy. The RPO's will tell the story. If the label isn't legible (which is common on 1988-1994 due to placement) then the VIN might still be on record with GM and the build sheet can be pulled through Compnine or a friendly dealer. In fact I'd suggest having that info checked before it is no longer available. Older trucks have dropped off, I've noticed. Years ago I wasn't able to pull a number of early gmt400 VIN's.

Richard
The 700R4 aka 4L60 persisted until the end of model year 1993 where they were installed in F-bodies and vettes in that last year of production where they co-existed w/the 4L60E. There's even a 1993-only specific version of the 700R4 valve body that has a third check ball location specifically for low-reverse (Ive seen one once years ago rebuilding a guy's 700R4 out of his firebird). In 94 all Vettes and F-bodies switched over to the 4L60E.

An old builder friend of mine mentioned to me a long while back that he recalled seeing a 700R4 in a 94 model year GM truck but couldn't recall the specifics...

Hopefully the RPO codes are legible as I am interested to see what was originally installed vs what's now installed.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 700R4 aka 4L60 persisted until the end of model year 1993 where they were installed in F-bodies and vettes in that last year of production where they co-existed w/the 4L60E. There's even a 1993-only specific version of the 700R4 valve body that has a third check ball location specifically for low-reverse (Ive seen one once years ago rebuilding a guy's 700R4 out of his firebird). In 94 all Vettes and F-bodies switched over to the 4L60E.

An old builder friend of mine mentioned to me a long while back that he recalled seeing a 700R4 in a 94 model year GM truck but couldn't recall the specifics...

Hopefully the RPO codes are legible as I am interested to see what was originally installed vs what's now installed.
Oh for sure, I'm talking specifically GMT400-world as I can't speak to what happened with F bodies or anything else.

For RPO codes, I'd suggest to anyone, especially 1988-1994 GMT400 owners, get a picture of your SPID label in the glovebox while it's still legible, IF it's still legible. And if not, today, not tomorrow, get and save a listing of your RPO codes obtainable from Compnine or your GM dealer. The information won't be available forever and you will likely need it some day to determine the correct parts to order for maintenance/repairs.

Richard