Improving turning radius '94 K1500 grinding stops.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Augusto

Reaction score
Hey guys, has anyone grinded down the steering stops to increase turning radius? I did it to my '85 C30 and worked great, is it possible doing in the OBS ? I'm worried about grinding too much and making the steering gear bottom out before the tires stop and possibly breaking something, please share your thoughts.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
has anyone grinded down the steering stops to increase turning radius?
DECREASE the turning radius?

I did it to my '85 C30 and worked great, is it possible doing in the OBS ? I'm worried about grinding too much and making the steering gear bottom out before the tires stop and possibly breaking something, please share your thoughts.
Be careful of the stress you're putting on the outer CV joints.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea. I don't know if the steering stops are on the steering knuckle like an old A-body Chevelle, or in the steering gear like an F-body Camaro.

Harkin

Reaction score
I have no idea. I don't know if the steering stops are on the steering knuckle like an old A-body Chevelle, or in the steering gear like an F-body Camaro.
I noticed shiny spots on my knuckle and control arm iirc, like they had been contacting each other. I would be worried to do a procedure like this because of the cv axles as previously mentioned. Interested to hear the results of this if you do go this route as it would be nice to have more steering angle in the Suburban.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually think the turning radius in my 96 K1500 is more than adequate. First thing I noticed about my 2018 Silverado 4WD was limited radius, glad I dumped that truck. My 400 is like an go cart compared to the 2018. Are we talking about 2WD? Is it an issue with them?