Improve obs A/C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
This can be done to all years of OBS.

i have noticed that the a/c on my truck really sucked. it would never get the cabin too comfortable, and i got this tip from BubbaZ71Tahoe on gmfs.

what you do is take off the glove box, there is a plastic plug behind it on the left side. unplug that and it comes right off. then take of the fan motor gaurd. next youll see the fan motor. unplug the two wires that go to it and make sure that you remember where they go. then just un screw the bolts with a 7/32in socket driver, or little socket. after that is done the motor will be able to be pulled out.

when the motor is out youll be able to feel the evaporator core by reaching up and to the left. it looks like a radiator. mine was really dirty, it had mud, leaves, trash, hair, and other chit clogging it up. reach with your hand at first to get all the big stuff out.

once you have done this get some degreaser and spray the evaporator core with it, starting from the top so it drips down. get a toothbrush, towel, and a cup of soapy water. once the degreaser has set for a bit get the toothbrush and start wiping down the core. when the brush is dirty clean it off with the cup of water and keep getting that crap off. also keep sparying the degreaser at the core. eventullay your going to have to cut the toothbrush in half to get to the bottom and sides of the evaporator core.

once the toothbrush is coming off pretty clean get your water hose and spray the chit of the the core. a lot more crap is going to come off with the water.

after that make put everyting back together and your all set.

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
sadly i dont. the instructions are spot on though. and the water will drain out through the engine compartment.

I'll go outside and grab some quick though.

1Sik1500

Reaction score
Heres how bad mine was before. I couldnt see in there, so i snapped a picture to check.. Night and Day difference. No after pictures. Improved Flow at least 60% better.

EDIT: Cant Add pictures FML.

You must be registered for see images attach

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can also get something like this at Lowes/home depot an avoid the scrubbing lol

You must be registered for see images

I did mine last summer but the evaporator was pretty clean in mine an it didn't really help....

1Sik1500

Reaction score
Wow! Mine still works ok, but i'm going to check it over next time i have the dash out.

You dont have to Pull the dash. Just pull the blower motor cover then the blower motor itself. Note mine was on a 98 Tahoe.

BubbaZ71Tahoe

Reaction score
dude... props to finding that.... that thread had to be old.. I did that work prolly in 2007 or 08 to my old 4 door

my 2 needs it also.

I actually had to change the blower motor and thats when I found all the dirt inside

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If ya got dogs and carry them in the truck I can guarantee the core has at least one layer of fur over it. More if you like to use the "max ac" or "recirc" setting much.

Ya have to reach in there and carefully pull the fur "mat" off the core first.

Be gently with your "toothbrush" and go in the direction of the fins. They're fairly fragile and easily damaged by a careless or rough hand...

BubbaZ71Tahoe

Reaction score
i cleaned it out and put the water hose on low pressure in there... cleaned it good...