Improve 4.3 Mileage and Hp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin95

Reaction score
Hi, I am wondering what mods there are to improve the fuel mileage on my truck. I have been looking around and wondering what you guys are doing to improve the mileage. I would like to stay under $500. Any tips on how to gain a little bit more hp as well for a cheap upgrade.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mileage and HP usually don't go hand in hand. It's kind of a trade-off.

For that budget I'd strongly recommend a mail order tune. Out of all the things I've done to my 4.3 truck, the Black Bear Performance tune made the biggest difference by far. Much more power and noticeably more fun to drive. It won't help your mileage, but it won't hurt it much either. I can still average over 20MPG when I keep my foot out of it.

EDIT - Whoops, sorry. Just realized you had a TBI truck. Disregard, mail order tunes are much easier for the Vortecs. You posted this in the 96+ section so I assumed that's what you were working with but then I saw the username.

Last edited: