Impossible to bleed brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coroner81

Reaction score
There were some lengthy posts above, so I'm not going to quote all 3, but I'll address the main points of each.

454: my fronts bled perfectly fine. I was expecting the same with the rears, but had no luck. Which is where I am now.

AvgJoe: That sounds very similar to what I've been going through. We had discussed the possibility of a prop valve issue this morning, and if that's the case, the place I bought it from isn't going to be happy.
The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. My flares appeared fine, and weren't leaking fluid. On a molecular level, air molecules are smaller, so it's possible to leak air, and not fluid. A thin layer of Teflon was used to try to eliminate air between threads as a possible problem. I wasn't using Teflon to create the seal for hydraulic fluid.
I tried the 2 man method, and vacuum bleeding. Neither worked. I don't have a pressure bleeder, and wasn't about to buy one, as I expected the same results. I never pump the brake pedal, I use slow strokes down, as well as up.
My fiancé has a 92 Blazer, which I believe has the same brake system, or at least similar to what you have. We've had no issues with her system yet, but playful to remove the ABS in the future as well.

Schurkey: We have tried the 2 man method of bleeding as well, closed bleeder while the pedal was still being depressed. Still no luck.
The MC was bench bled until piston travel didn't exceed 1/8". The pedal is rock hard with it installed, and ports blocked. Just for poops and giggles I tried parking the truck both with the rear higher and the front higher. There were no small pockets of air being released.
I have found that the rubber coated handle of channel locks works quite well in working the piston, and when fully opened, gives you a bit of a handle, and is a little more comfortable to use.
I don't believe gravity bleeding would fix the issue of air being pulled in. I could gravity bleed until im blue in the face, depressing the pedal with everything closed causes it to drop almost instantly. I don't have access to a pressure bleeder, I was using the 2 man method instead. Between last year, and this year, all the lines are brand new, and rust free. I had rust on the lines on the axle, and replaced those with no change.
Your mention of a faulty proportion valve, which it's a combo valve, but most people generally call it a PV, falls in line with what AvgJoe said above, and what I discussed with the mechanic here.
The brake light pigtail is in my possession, and when I have the truck back, I'll figure out how to wire it in.

Coroner81

Reaction score
We have another update. The brakes worked to get it home yesterday. As I was turning out of my driveway, the front brakes locked up, skidded to a stop, giving it gas just caused wheel spin. I had to forward/reverse a bit and got it to break free.

We're going to look at a PV from an 80's square body if the local yard has any floating around

Edit: I decided to have it towed in, since I didn't want the brakes locking up while driving. While moving my Tahoe for the flatbed, the pedal is going to the floor again.

Edit: The brakes locking up issue seems to be from the lines from MC to PV being reversed, unlike every other older vehicle I've worked on. It still doesn't explain the bleeding issue.

Last edited:

Coroner81

Reaction score
Still no real solution.
$300 later at the garage, and I have an inconsistent pedal and an angry wallet. It stops. But the pedal travel varies. There's usually a good 2-3" of travel before I get any braking. The rear brakes still lock up from time to time after going in reverse, then drive. Today the fronts locked up a bit and I had to move it back then forward to break them free.

There's obviously something fubar somewhere.

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry about your brake issues. I've read every post in this thread at least twice, trying to think about what may cause issues with air in lines.
Now,, and this is a long shot, but, the CV has a threaded port, that uses a threaded bushing that the failure switch is connected to.
Is it possible that that switch assembly is allowing air to enter the CV when you release the pedal, but will re-seal when the pedal is depressed??,, stranger things have happened before.
The lock-up issue also seems to point to a malfunctioning CV.
When you bleed the brakes, you really need to use the little tool that holds the piston in the CV,, it does make life much easier. Just some thoughts,, I know how frustrating brakes can be.