Illuminating the Rear Lock/Unlock Switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sideburnz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me apologize right here from the beginning! I know just about enough about car wiring and electronics to be a danger!

I am working on a 1999 Chevy Tahoe 2DR 2WD! What I am attempting to do is illuminate the power lock/unlock switch located on the right rear C-pillar by using a rear power window switch from a 4DR Tahoe. So far it has been a walk in the park. Plugged in the 4DR switch, it worked to lock/unlock both doors, switched the rocker over to the one with the lock/unlock logo and everything worked perfectly.

The part that I am confused on is how to setup the illumination part of the project. I know on the 4DR switch that pin C is (+) positive and pin G is (-) negative, simple enough. How to run the wiring is where I’m questioning how it should be done. I want the switch to light when the dome lights are on (such as when I unlock the vehicle with keyless entry.) but I would also like the switch to light up when the headlights are on! I know I need to patch into the rear dome light (orange wire) and the wire that turns on the righthand taillight (unsure of wire color!)

I am thinking is that I need to place a diode in the wire running from the dome light so that the system won’t back feed when I turn on the headlights/taillights switch? The light I will be using in the illuminate widow/unlock switch is a “NEOx LED Bulb - High Power Instrument Panel LED - 3mm NEO3-xHP Blue.” If I am correct in thinking that I should use a diode I am completely confused about what diode to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Your dome lights are ground-switched (white wire at the dome lights), and your park lights are hot-switched (Brown wire at the taillights). Honestly, I'm trying to think of a way you can do this lol. You'll need a constant ground for the park lights to light it up, but you need a constant hot feed for the dome lights to light it up.

Okay here's a thought right off my brain. You'll need a 5-pin relay.

Wire pin G to ground (Black).
Wire pin C to relay pin 30.
Wire relay pin 87A to the park lights (Brown).
Wire relay pin 85 and 87 to the dome light hot supply (orange).
Wire relay pin 86 to the dome light ground (white).

Doing it this way, the relay will switch the lock switch light's power supply when the dome lights turn on. That's the only way I can see this working lol. And you don't even need a diode.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Good to know! I've thought about this switch being lit before, but unsure how to go about it. Most of the time I have the back door open, it's in a well lit area, but not always.