Ignition Wiring - Mess

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goliath

Reaction score
This might ought to go in Audio + Electronics but seems more like a maint issue to me cause Suburban intermittently won't start (little history first):

The previous owner of my burb had a bunch of stuff that may have worked well for him at one time but when I got from a dealership the add on keyless entry and alarm system didn't work. That's not entirely true because I can plug in the pin sections and make them work but truck won't start, but not exactly a great tradeoff.

Anyhow now I got this mess of wires and relays and boxes under the carpeting below the parking brake:

You must be registered for see images attach

About 99% of the time I turn the key and she fires right up, a few times I have turned the key and the radio, fan, dash lights, etc come on but no noise or clicks from the engine bay. Several tries when this happens and nothing - leave it alone and come back later (doing nothing to fix) and it fires right up. This has happened about 4 times now since I've had it a couple of months.

Kinda scary, I would rather it not work at all and then find something to fix that makes it better. Anyway after all that a couple of questions:

1.) Think I should take it somewhere and have someone pull all the added crap and re-route to original wiring scheme? Or any other suggestions?

2.) Any idea how much that would cost (ballpark)? Doesn't seem like much but more than I want to tackle.

Last edited:

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This might ought to go in Audio + Electronics but seems more like a maint issue to me cause Suburban intermittently won't start (little history first):

The previous owner of my burb had a bunch of stuff that may have worked well for him at one time but when I got from a dealership the add on keyless entry and alarm system didn't work. That's not entirely true because I can plug in the pin sections and make them work but truck won't start, but not exactly a great tradeoff.

Anyhow now I got this mess of wires and relays and boxes under the carpeting below the parking brake:

About 99% of the time I turn the key and she fires right up, a few times I have turned the key and the radio, fan, dash lights, etc come on but no noise or clicks from the engine bay. Several tries when this happens and nothing - leave it alone and come back later (doing nothing to fix) and it fires right up. This has happened about 4 times now since I've had it a couple of months.

Kinda scary, I would rather it not work at all and then find something to fix that makes it better. Anyway after all that a couple of questions:

1.) Think I should take it somewhere and have someone pull all the added crap and re-route to original wiring scheme? Or any other suggestions?

2.) Any idea how much that would cost (ballpark)? Doesn't seem like much but more than I want to tackle.

Intermitant issues are almost always the toughest to diagnose!! That being said, that mess of aftermarket wires under the dash could VERY well be your problem, another possibility is the OE PassKey II is on it's way out and doing this ocaisonally. That will cause similar issues. However I'm not a 100% certain if 98 had the Paskey II system or if it started in 99 for the GMT800's. Someone will have to chime in to answer that one. Anyways:
1. Yes you would be best off to have all that mess taken out of there and revert to original, then if you want to add a keyless entry/remote start/alarm/etc do it after having everything of the old stuff removed and everything functional before continueing to install a new accesorry.

2. I don't know what the shops around you would charge, a general repair shop MIGHT be take it on. It would most likely be by the hour for labor because there really isn't a FRB that covers that sort of thing. So it could be $50 or it could be $250 it just depends on where you go and who is working on it.

Goliath

Reaction score
Found a local shop that does audio, keyless, alarm systems, remote start, etc that said they would get me back to original for $50 or would do a new working keyless system instead for $140. Sounds like a plan. Still might not be my problem but should eliminate a variable.

Edit - Just to wrap this up and not leave dangling:

Got it cleaned up and keyless system added (total ended up being $180).

Pic after complete:

Stuff taken out/left over:

Last edited: