Ignition switch failure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevy8697

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all so i need a little help diagnosing an issue with my brothers truck. About a month ago we installed theft alarms in our trucks. His is a 98 k1500 with passlock mine a 97 without.. both installs worked fine minus remote start for his because we need a module. Anyways. Yesterday on his way home from work he started his truck and was idling when he when to drive the truck shutoff. He tried to restart it and had power to nothing. no headlights no radio nothing. Today we took a quick look at it. What we saw was the following. when the key is in accessory position the radio does work but if we hit the brake peddle or hit door locks or anything that uses power it kills what power the truck does have. If we hit the 4way button it starts to cycle all sorts of relays under the dash but not the 4ways. we have disconnected the car alarm to try and eliminate anything recently done to the wiring but nothing changed. also if you would turn the key to 2/3 forward the gear indicator will come on but when the key is turned to the start/run position it goes away the gauges move when in run postion but we have no dash lights.. the cigarette lighter has power but whenever the relays would randomly go off it would cut power to it. I didn't get to check any of the power leads with a voltmeter but there is power to the vehicle. all battery connections are good and the battery started my truck this morning. The door locks somewhat work but cannot fully unlock/lock by them self. The windows will not move at all. So could this be a issue related to passlock? Or could it be the power block under the dash that is held together with a bolt? Or could it be the whole ignition switch? Also when the column is unlocked i can remove it from park without hitting the brake peddle last time i did anything to his truck i know i had to use the brake to get it out of park. IF anyone could shed some light on this or have anything else that could be the problem please let me know. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
You can use a jumper wire inside the under hood fuse box to diagnose your problems. Some of the fuses are hot constant, others are key on. Turn the key to the on position.Take a hot wire and jump to the ECM fuse (can be a little short wire from another hot fuse, not alot of current is needed here) The truck should now start. If it does, you either do not have a hot feed to your ignition switch (can check in the block that bolts together under the column for power), or the ignition switch is bad. This problem is not passlock related. See if the truck will run with the jumper wire and let me know something back. I went thru very similar problems with my 98 k2500. My headlights did work on my truck, so i am assuming you will find that the inside of the cab is not receiving power.