Idling rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LilTahoe

Reaction score
When I first start my truck which has a 350 with a mild cam rebuilt 100 miles ago it idles rough the rpms are about 300-400 then it will warm up and idle around 800 and run fine.
Just put new plugs and wires harmonic balancer fuel filter o2 sensor did a full tune up adjusted the timing. It's running alot better than it was.

My question is why is it running so rough on start up?

LilTahoe

Reaction score
Also the gauge is saying the oil pressure is 10 psi at idle.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Iirc you need like 10 psi for every 1000 rpm, so you aren't horribly bad, but it could be better. Did you replace the oil pump upon rebuild? Also, is your oil level topped off?

As far as the low and rough idle, more info is needed. Is it tbi or vortec? What are the specs of the cam? What all was done in the "mild" rebuild?

LilTahoe

Reaction score
I was thinking the oil pump needed to be replaced it operated fine before the build but I'm second guessing it. And oil level is topped off. It's tbi and as far as specs and info on the build I don't know specifics I paid to have it done I work entirely too much to dedicate to something like that. Although it dynoed at around 350ish hp. I can put it into gear and idle drops 200 rpms or so. Stutters but as soon as I give it gas it's fine. I also need to put some exhaust manifold gaskets the others didn't seat properly.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Have you replaced the idle air control valve and coolant temp sensor. I would replace the cts and clean the iac if not. Did it have these issues before the work was done?

LilTahoe

Reaction score
I pulled the motor out of another truck the motor that was in mine over heated and trashed the heads. I got a block and heads for $300. My truck is throwing codes not sure which ones going to check tomorrow. I haven't replaced iac or the cts. Again I was under the assumption they where fine but they probably aren't. Would clogged cats have some effect? I'm also running insanely rich on start up.

LilTahoe

Reaction score
I also feel like I should have more power than I do. Don't get me wrong it's not bad but I feel like it should be more. So power loss is a symptom.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are anywhere near 350 hp then u need a custome tune in that ecm to make it run properly

LilTahoe

Reaction score
Any companies flash on a budget? And I'll replace all that. Maybe the clogged cat has something to do with that?