I wasn't sure where to put this thread. . . . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDHenry6

Reaction score
Marshfield, WI. Born and raised in Central PA.
because there's no section for "Street truck, stock ride height" suspension. I figured that lowered was closer to my application than 4x4 or off-road. If there is a sections for this, Moderator, please move it.

That being said, I have a 92' Silverado C1500 extended cab shortbox truck. She has 216,700 miles on her and the shocks are completely shot. I mean, she's riding on the springs. I picked up this truck for $300 knowing that I would have to put some money into it. I've done all kinds of electrical, exhaust, and engine work over the years, but have never touched suspension.

My question is, is it possible for a backyard mechanic with basic hand tools ( no compressor or air tools) to change all four of the shock absorbers on one of these trucks? I'm currently a full-time student and a displaced worker so I'm trying to save some cabbage and do this repair myself.

Is it not worth the aggravation, and should I just take it to a shop? A local mechanic quoted me roughly $300 to change all four corners.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks , Chris

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My thoughts? I need to start changing shocks for people!!! Most certainly can be done at home by yourself. A day or so ahead of time spray the penetrating oil of your choice on all the shock mounts. Worst case will be rusted hardware, nothing a propane torch and a BFH can't fix.

CDHenry6

Reaction score
Marshfield, WI. Born and raised in Central PA.
IOWNJUNK, thanks for the reply !
I happen to have a few hammers laying around. My car mentor, a body man, repeatedly told me that any problem can be solved by using the proper hammer.

So, I'm guessing, put it on jackstands and the rest is nuts and bolts? Do I need a spring compressor?
I really need to get a Haynes manual for this truck . . . . .

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
IOWNJUNK, thanks for the reply !
I happen to have a few hammers laying around. My car mentor, a body man, repeatedly told me that any problem can be solved by using the proper hammer.

So, I'm guessing, put it on jackstands and the rest is nuts and bolts? Do I need a spring compressor?
I really need to get a Haynes manual for this truck . . . . .
no spring compressor needed, just unbolt and switch out with the new ones

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Crusty almost helps on the fronts cause you can just snap the stud on the top of the shock off..thus saving time. I never tackled the rear but the front was gravy

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
rear needs 13mm shallow socket with swivel, 13mm combination wrench and an 18mm socket deep well 1/2 drive and 18mm combination wrench.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
rear needs 13mm shallow socket with swivel, 13mm combination wrench and an 18mm socket deep well 1/2 drive and 18mm combination wrench.

After 22 Wisconsin winters he's probably gonna need propane, WD40, and vise grips. Oh, and that hammer.

Last I checked it was still cold as $hit up there. Good luck!