I hate ethanol fuel!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you guys ever taken a carb apart thats had 10% ran through it?! and thats supposed to be better?!

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oklahoma went to E10 on Jan 15 2014 and it was noticeable. I most stations post 91 octane still being 100% gas so either pay .20 more for premium or .20 more for 87 octane pure, looks like I might get the 03 6.0L tuned for 91 or maybe further optimized for constant e10

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Ethanol has a great number of political/environmental/economic ramifications that outweigh the benefits IMO, not unlike the incandescent light-bulb ban recently put into effect. I could go on, but I don't feel like getting all worked up right now.

Those benefits I mentioned? Only one that I can think of: As a small-engine tech, it certainly keeps me busy with work.

They banned those light bulbs simply because GE wanted them banned because they didn't sell enough of them. So the government actually acquiesced and banned them for GE so that they can crush their competition. Now they're thriving off the other light bulbs (some of which have mercury in them) and I don't want to use those. It's ruining our freedom of choice thanks to corporate/gov't cronyism

I think I summed up what you'd like to say but anyways one quick question: what led to politicians' push for ethanol in the gasoline?

Edit: Just thinking, since they'll claim it has better emissions than gasoline are they trying to say that the ten percent ethanol will somehow save our invented environment crisis? Or is it also an easy way for them to justify larger subsidies to farms....?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Not to mention the damage the ethanol does to the rubber hose between the fuel pump and the metal fuel line for the tbi guys. I have pulled countless tanks expecting to replace a fuel pump and the culprit be a dissolved rubber line leaking the fuel back into the tank. Ethanol KILLS rubber hose.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think ethanol is a good alternative for racing fuel but we should have a choice if we want it at the pump.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I get better fuel mileage on the 10% ethanol stuff. It allows the engine to run more timing because it is less volatile than pure gasoline.

My Jeep lost 2-3 mpg on straight premium gas vs. E10 mid-grade and lost enough power that I had to down shift climbing Christiansburg mountain on I81.

LessThenStellar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 95 c1500 and my 96 Jeep cherokee both run great on E85 fuel.

In the summer time I run the jeep one a 50/50 blend of E10 and E85, it runs a lot cooler which helps with the 4litre cooling issues.

I say again, I have ran straight E85 in both with no problems, however I typically blend 50/50.

I see about a 5-10% loss in fuel economy, but E85 is dramatically cheaper than E10 here in Cali.

LessThenStellar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, in the 80's the entire automobile industry here stopped using natural rubber in fuel systems and switched to synthetic because of the use of alcohol fuels. Brazil is oil independent and have done extensive research on the subject, at the time the US was going to try and copy the Brazilian model.

Every vehicle made post 1990 hasn't used natural rubber in any part of the fuel system.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ethanol enriched gasoline is bad for small engines because their fuel management systems are inadequate. Unlike MAF/O2 sensor controlled engines which can adjust fueling based off of air to fuel ratios, primitive engine systems can not.

It's good to know there are a few people who have had some positive experiences with ethanol based fuels on their GMT400.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All we run around here is E10/15 and it does fine in out trucks. My 84 K5 does good on it as well as my 84 and 89 Camaros.

I run it in my weed eater, chainsaws and lawn tractor too. I think a lot of the problems with the low concentration ethanol gases are in people's head.