I hate ethanol fuel!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PossumJr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I have am idea, lets water down gas with ethanol from corn, that way we can ruin everyone's gas mileage, jack the price of corn up, and give the gas company more profit, and make everyone's life a little more difficult. How does that sound? :Rant:
Sorry think I just blacked out for a second

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks like the best solution here would be if there are any parts that would work for to make these trucks accept the ethanol...

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I got one of those ancient grandpas that has lived everything and don't everything I can think of. For his chain saw he won't run 10% ethanol fuel in it even though its hard to find straight gas.

According to him, I've never done it, you can put a gallon of 10% ethanol into a bucket and add 2 tablespoons of water. The next day all the ethanol will be separated and will be on top, with gas on the bottom. Then he says he just gently ladles almost all the ethanol off and puts the rest of the gas into his gas can.

I don't remember what he says makes it work but he swears by it.

He lives a few towns away and it's all 10% up there but since I have straight gas here I've never bothered with it.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Now Hemp Ethanol, that's a completely different story.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Ethanol has already messed up my fuel system once. A few years ago when NY started with this crap, The flex hose between the sending unit and the main fuel line broke down from the inside and filled my fuel filter. Had to replace the filter, the hoses and drain the tank. Once I cleaned it out, the truck ran great.

And that was a cool site by the way. Too bad the only places anywhere near me are Marinas, and pretty sure my truck won't float to the pumps.

John Deere 4240, He's right! Ethanol mixes with water better than gas. The alcohol will molecules will attach themselves to the water molecules. But I believe, gas is lighter than water, so the water/ethanol mix will be on the bottom. I could be wrong on that, I'm not a chemist.

CrazyDave

Reaction score
They are still offering us a choice here in Oklahoma, but the closer you get to Texas the harder it is to find a station. Ethanol ruined the carb on my bike. I rebuilt the carb and refuse to ever put ethanol in it again. I'm afraid that pretty soon no one will have a choice anymore. I just bought my 93 Sierra, and I'm not used to getting 15 mpg. I was kind of bummed about it until ya'll mentioned how much more expensive it would be to buy a new vehicle.

Ethanol sux a$$!!!!

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now Hemp Ethanol, that's a completely different story.

Or Cane Sugar Ethanol. Ethanol is made from sugar. Corn must be chemically converted to sugar before it can be made into ethanol. Corn was one of the worst products they could have picked.

I don't understand how this platform is so anti ethanol. Gasoline containing ethanol has been sold in the US since the late 1970s. Our vehicles are designed to run E10 fuel. This is what the owners manual in my 1999 Burb says.

"To provide cleaner air, all gasolines in the United States are now required to contain additives that will help prevent deposits from forming in your engine and fuel system, allowing your emission control system to function properly. Therefore, you should not have to add anything to the fuel. In addition, gasolines containing oxygenates, such as ethers and ethanol, and reformulated gasolines may be available in your area to contribute to clean air. General Motors recommends that you use these gasolines, particularly if they comply with the specifications described earlier."

This is what the owners manual says for 1994 Burb. TBI

"Your use of gasoline with deposit control additives will help prevent deposits from forming in your engine and fuel system. That helps keep your engine in tune and your emission control system working properly. It’s good for your vehicle, and you’ll be doing your part for cleaner air. Many gasolines are now blended with oxygenates. General Motors recommends that you use gasolines with these blending materials, such as MTBE and ethanol. By doing so, you can help clean the air, especially in those parts of the country that have high carbon monoxide levels."

If E10 gasoline was "bad" for our trucks there would be a lot more people with problems.

It's easy to say that ethanol sucks because of the way it was implemented in the US. Henry Ford's first model T was designed was a flex-fuel vehicle designed to run on any mix of ethanol/gasoline. Ford was a huge proponent of ethanol over gasoline because it was cleaner and a renewable resource. Back then, people made their own ethanol/alcohol all the time. Most of them used it to get drunk but it could have been used to fuel a vehicle and it could be made in the home. Prohibition made the production of ethanol/alcohol illegal for any use and gasoline won the fuel war. (Prohibition also guaranteed a lot of rich influential people would remain rich. hmmm)

Ethanol is a far superior fuel to gasoline for automotive applications.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Ethanol has a great number of political/environmental/economic ramifications that outweigh the benefits IMO, not unlike the incandescent light-bulb ban recently put into effect. I could go on, but I don't feel like getting all worked up right now.

Those benefits I mentioned? Only one that I can think of: As a small-engine tech, it certainly keeps me busy with work.