i got stupid question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98vortec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
got 98 chevy 350 vortec does the pipe that connects to exhaust manifold have a donut gasket? or how they seal to manifold

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your OE exhaust manifolds, have a built in donut gasket, basically. Your pipe is tapered to fit this built in flange on the manifold. You can see it in this pic.
You must be registered for see images attach

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you've developed an exhaust leak you can unbolt the clamping ring and then grind the 3 shoulders down a little so it will clamp down a little further. Hope that makes sense

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No, there is no replacing a gasket, but the flange that would be a donut gasket, is the same casting metal as the manifold it self. It is part of the manifold itself, it is all cast as one part. And yes you can space the nut with a spacer or maybe some washers or something like that to get a tighter fit pulling the pipe tighter to the manifold.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have shorty headers on my truck. I had issues with them leaking where a donut gasket would be. I ended up taking a ball ping hammer and bending the flange ( its soft thin metal) inward to except a donut gasket. After trying several donut gaskets, I found a steel gaskets for a 1971 Chevy truck with a 350. I haven't had a leak sense I installed these donut gaskets about 2 years ago.