I find myself fighting the urge....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Do it!!!!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I have to say, that really looks good. And after seeing the mods you have done, I truly believe you would make it look great.

Sorry, I'm no help, LOL!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I'd have to find one first is the problem.

Nearest yard is 3.5 hours away (on way) and pretty limited on stuff. Selection is also limited. There's only about 500,000 people on this whole stinking island so not many wrecked vehicle to star with let alone a Kod/Topkick.

Making it even worse is that I had to extend my tour another year due to manning issues.

Two more years on this stinkin' rock might make this one slooooooooow project if I do it......

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
I gotta wonder if you would need to steal the HVAC unit in behind it as well? Should be doable but if you were to I would steal EVERYTHING in front of your face, maybe even kick panels and the a pillar cover. That looks too cool not to do it. I imagine your truck would be out of commission for a weekend or better. Do it, then build thread. Cool.

Sent from my HTC 8X using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I gotta wonder if you would need to steal the HVAC unit in behind it as well? Should be doable but if you were to I would steal EVERYTHING in front of your face, maybe even kick panels and the a pillar cover. That looks too cool not to do it. I imagine your truck would be out of commission for a weekend or better. Do it, then build thread. Cool.

Sent from my HTC 8X using Tapatalk

I'd likely be looking at the plastic only.

Just spitballing it around:

GMT400 diesel cluster would have to be swapped into the Kod dash opening, at least until the Duramax swap. Then its a simple matter of ropping a Duramax van cluster right in.

Ducting for the Kod dash would have to come with it, HVAC assembly would likely be the GMT 400 stuff. Doubt the van style box from the 2003+ would fit my firewall. Probably have to make up a ducting adapter to go from the GMT400 outlet to the Kod dash venting. That's pretty easy.

The rest of the GMT switches and whatnot would get swapped over. Headlight and HVAC head look like a direct swap. The multiple Kod switches would stay. Lots of extra room for my boost, egt, fuel pressure, etc gauges.

Trailer brake controller can go nearly anywhere, just cut the opening to fit.

Lots of room for tweeter and speaker placements.

The windshield line is a bit of a concern. If it's even close, shaving the plastic would make it fit. Defroster vent location is another area of concern.

Then there's the overall width. That may be a deal killer. not just the width where it goes inside the body lines, but it appears the dash flares out on the ends.

I have to find one somewhere that I can measure and check. I would be more likely to find a van from that year (same body) and take some measurements. If it looks like it would fit with a touch of work, then start seriously looking for a Kod dash.

We also have 4 feet of snow on the ground right now and more on the way. That kind of puts a damper on doing anything until spring anyways. Plastic tends to break when frigged with at these temperatures....

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Ya know, the more I look at it....the more I think it might be just as easy to pick up a GMT400 dash and start fiberglassing.

All it would be is an add on custom binacle and a new bezel.

Relatively easy compared to trying to make something not intended to be there work.

Could also be easily altered in the future to accommodate a Duramax cluster.....

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Quick chop using various pics found on the web:

You must be registered for see images attach

Kinda diggin' it.....no idea if I'll do it though.

Last edited:

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Maybe you could fiberglass in a switch panel over the dash cupholder like the 99-06 trucks?

The easiest thing is just going with a better center console IMO. Taller and closer to the driver's seat than the one you already have.

Or a sweet overhead console....