HUD Project - Need Information In Regards To The VSS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Actjack

Reaction score
Newb here,

I have found myself seeking the wisdom of the people of this wonderful forum, for a project I am strongly adamant on doing. A "Heads Up Display" project for my K1500 (1994 Sierra 5.7 Liter) to display the speed onto the windshield.
Seeing as my truck is pre-1996, I am stuck with a OBD1 and most modern plug-and-play HUDs either use OBD2 or GPS. Most of which, are cheap chinese junk.
Onto the situation at hand:
I am wanting this to be hard wired into the vehicle, primarily from the VSS or the VSS Buffer maybe. Finding a spot to place the device and run the wiring is the easy part for me, My troubles start with how would I retrieve this information AND what could i use to capture that data?

Before you ask, I would use a 7-Segment Display and a small reflective film to project the "Digital Speed" onto the windshield.

Actjack

Reaction score
I figured as much. Electronics? I would say somewhere around Intermediate. If I had to program anything I would need a little help

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It may be easier to find one already done with a VFD Setup and modify it into the dash.
Food for thought. Anything led based I don't think will be bright enough during the day.
Look at *** cars for parts . 240sx would be a start.

Actjack

Reaction score
It may be easier to find one already done with a VFD Setup and modify it into the dash.
Food for thought. Anything led based I don't think will be bright enough during the day.
Look at *** cars for parts . 240sx would be a start.

Yes I have given that some thought. But would my VSS provide the right information to the VFD?

Hightower1

Reaction score
Maybe you could use a HUD out of a 93 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme? It's GM and OBD1. :)

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
some Cadillacs & Grand Prix's also had HUD.

doing a quick part search on www.car-part.com using a 93 cutlass coupe & looking for a HUD windshield (also available on the 4dr model, but diff glass), netted 3 available in my area. 92 cutlass, 92 gp & a 95 gp (rpo code UV6). so def available oem on obd1 vehicles.

spend the day & pull the parts you need & trace/notate the wires connections.

hope this helps