How torsion rod play is nl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ng8264723

Reaction score
So I went to install my new torsion rods. They have a fair amount of slop in the a-arms. Is this nl? I figure when they are loaded it will be gone but I wanted to see what other people have. My first rods had to be cut out of the truck so I didn't know what type of slop they had

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 91's T-bars have a very very slight amount of twist before they rest on the flats in the hex. (loaded)

Where did you get your new torsion bars? You Might want to check the part numbers to your vehicle.. If there's a difference in the size of the hex between spring sizes ( I could be wrong)

ng8264723

Reaction score
I got them from the bone yard. Once loaded I don't think it will matter. What year is your truck? Also do your rods slide through the a arm

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mines 1991 k2500 (6-lug). I haven't had mine out.. yet. I have a lift ordered so I'm hoping I don't have much trouble with them when it comes time

ng8264723

Reaction score
My old ones were never coming out. So they were plasma cut out. The new ones rest on the flats but before they do there is a little twist. I guess it should be fine though. I'm not sure where to put the key though. Since I cut them out i don't know how far it sticks out before you twist it in. I saw on awebsite where a guy took a big ass puller and added chain around the top of the x-member. The chain was bolted to both sides of the puller. I thought it was a brilliant idea. A lot safer than anything other than the correct tool

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
Ball joint press works fine for removing the T bars. I had mine in and out several times before finally getting rid of them and never had any issues. Adjustment bolts should be taken all the way out before hand and the front suspension at full drop so there should be little to no load on the keys.

My torsion bars had a small amount of slack in the LCAs as well. It's the keys they should fit tightly in.

ng8264723

Reaction score
My truck is on a lift so I have the A-arms all the way down and then hook the keys up. How far below the X-member should they be before you press them

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When the vehicle is on the ground the keys should be indexed pretty much level with the crossmember I thought and since your A-arms are hanging theyll be lower (I think, I'm trying to visualize which side the adjuster bolt is on)

They're hex keys right and not some crazy splined things?

ng8264723

Reaction score
They are hexed keys. They are actually all bead blasted and pretty now. Perhaps I'll put the wheels on and install them that way