How to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IIRC me and you were the only ones who used this, everyone else in that thread we were in used the Pen tool, I can't stand that awful ******* of a tool. :lol:

I can't either! I can get a LOT more precise with the Polygonal lasso tool then i can with the pen tool! That damn pen tool is a pain in the ass to use if you ask me lol

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I can't either! I can get a LOT more precise with the Polygonal lasso tool then i can with the pen tool! That damn pen tool is a pain in the ass to use if you ask me lol

The only things that piss me off about the polygonal lasso is sometimes when your selecting a whole truck and you know its perfect around the wheel wells, and your 75% there, it will all the sudden connect itself and will leave a huge line across the truck, and you have to start over. Or if you click to fast it will connect itself, ugh.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only things that piss me off about the polygonal lasso is sometimes when your selecting a whole truck and you know its perfect around the wheel wells, and your 75% there, it will all the sudden connect itself and will leave a huge line across the truck, and you have to start over. Or if you click to fast it will connect itself, ugh.

That happens to me on occasion also, but you can just click "add to selection" and start where it ended to finish your selection, then when you get back to the original starting point just go to your second starting point to complete it! AND did you know that you by pressing the "delete" key, you can undo a point you made? I remember it took my like a month to figure that one out lol

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
That happens to me on occasion also, but you can just click "add to selection" and start where it ended to finish your selection, then when you get back to the original starting point just go to your second starting point to complete it! AND did you know that you by pressing the "delete" key, you can undo a point you made? I remember it took my like a month to figure that one out lol

Ahh I'll try that add to selection, I know sometimes Ive gotten so far in one, I held like shift or alt and selected it seperatly.

Yeah the delete key, I figured that out later too haha, that was a life saver.

Do you know about Quick masking? for like wheels and other round objects.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahh I'll try that add to selection, I know sometimes Ive gotten so far in one, I held like shift or alt and selected it seperatly.

Yeah the delete key, I figured that out later too haha, that was a life saver.

Do you know about Quick masking? for like wheels and other round objects.

Yep, the tool where you press it on a sample color and it will select all similar colors within the picture. I think its called the magic selection brush or something like that. I use it occasionally but usually with chrome wheels it won't get a very precise edge.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Yep, the tool where you press it on a sample color and it will select all similar colors within the picture. I think its called the magic selection brush or something like that. I use it occasionally but usually with chrome wheels it won't get a very precise edge.

You hit Q and get a big brush that is bigger than the wheel, then make a big dot on the wheel, then Shift + T, make it the same as the wheel, then hit Q again, it will outline the wheel exactly so you can do swaps and stuff. I always get confused with it, because when I transform it, it always takes the wheel and transforms it, not the masking itself, I usually get mad and exit photoshop from that.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
Damn I think im learning some tips from reading this thread. I get so lost with PS. I have CS4. Ive done a couple lowering pics but thats it.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You hit Q and get a big brush that is bigger than the wheel, then make a big dot on the wheel, then Shift + T, make it the same as the wheel, then hit Q again, it will outline the wheel exactly so you can do swaps and stuff. I always get confused with it, because when I transform it, it always takes the wheel and transforms it, not the masking itself, I usually get mad and exit photoshop from that.

How to get around tranforming the selection instead of the object is simple, before you begin make a new transparent layer ontop of the layer your working on. Then make your new transparent layer active, then make your selection (ie wheel or tire etc etc). Then once you have the desired object selected, make the layer you are working on active and then make your selection. That should clear up any problems you might have with it :handshake:

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn I think im learning some tips from reading this thread. I get so lost with PS. I have CS4. Ive done a couple lowering pics but thats it.

Maybe we should start a thread for like a "Q&A" for people that have questions on how to do this or that in PS? If you get lost with CS4, you should try out Elements! It's a lot more user friendly and a little bit easier to get the hang off PS if you don't have prior experience!

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
Maybe we should start a thread for like a "Q&A" for people that have questions on how to do this or that in PS? If you get lost with CS4, you should try out Elements! It's a lot more user friendly and a little bit easier to get the hang off PS if you don't have prior experience!

Ya I figured it would be. This was a full free download so I had to grab it. :hidesbehindsofa:

Well this thread is already titled, How To:

We should just keep this one going.