How to properly lift and support truck on stands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Please direct me if I am in the wrong area, but I am just curious how you guys support your trucks

I'm a strong believer when it comes to wheel chocks, but as far as getting he truck on stands, I use a floor jack and a 2x4 on the rear dif, lift it up, and put two 3ton jack stands on the axle, close to the hubs

For the front, I use the crossmember under the front bumper to lift it, and put stands by the frame, under the drivers door

I don't use any wood blocks on the jack stands themselves, and usually put the tire under the vehicle for safety reasons

At any given time, I only have the truck on two 3 ton jack stands, either the back or the front.

Hope I'm on the right track! Just wanted to make sure

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Sounds good, but I actually feel safer with the truck up on 4 stands. On pavement, with some wood underneath the stands on hot days so the stands don't sink. I'm usually doin' this stuff by myself with no-one around. A truck lifted up on just one end seems less stable. If 'something' was to happen, I could be there for days and no-one would (give a ****? lol!) know, except for the dog. And he'd only care if he missed a feeding!

Ixnay on the cinder blocks!!!

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I usually put the jack under the skid plate under the engine or the hitch receiver. Then put the jack stands either under the lower control arms or the ends of the hitch receiver. Not the best for lifting the back, but the only time I've needed the back in the air, was to do maintenance to the rear diff, so jacking from there wasnt an option.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You're doing it fine.

Only thing I'll add is on a flat level concrete surface is preferred.

You get a bit "sketchy" on surfaces other than concrete since most jack stands have relatively sharp bottoms.

Makes 'em grab concrete and not skate around, but causes them to sink into most other surfaces.

I usually put rears under the axle tubes as close to the spring pads as possible. The rear axle will hang so low if you use the frame your jack stands will be close to their max extension, if they reach at all. Little to no choice if you're removing the rear axle or springs though. I generally don't like jack stands in a suspension component (vehicle can "bounce" while you're working on it), but the rear axle is a special case. Kinda forced into it by the frame heights in the rear.

Fronts go under the frame rails just ahead of the front frame join point. Good and solid.

:)

Definitely block the wheels if up on only two jack stands front or rear.

I usually also leave the hydraulic jack in place. Doesn't hold any weight, its just there and snugged up in case a jack stand fails (I've seen it happen). The jack gives you that life saving second as the truck drops on it to squirt out from under or its already in place if they have to get the damned vehicle off me....:(

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use ramps if I have a choice... The only time I use jack stands is working on the rear suspension and we have some tall one's at work that reach the frame behind the axle nicely.