How to fix saggy headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The headliner in my '91 is sagging horrible. So much so that with the windows down it whips all over the place and hits me in the top of the head and drives me nuts. What's the best way to go about tightening it back up? Can I get away with spraying glue and pulling the cloth tight again? Is there a better way? I really need to deal with this soon, like i said it's driving me nuts.

2tone95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its a common problem that my dad gets at his upholstery shop ppl always put thumb tacks lol but na man u gotta get it replaced go by ur local upholstery shop and he how much they charge if u wana do it yourself its not really really hard but its not very easy let me see if i could find the link that shows u how to do it..

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine myself, there is a thread in the interior section somewhere, but the hardest part was making sure the fabric was smooth and the glue was even.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The best fix is to have it recovered by a shop/someone who does the work for a living. The glue that they use is 10 times better than that sold in retail stores.
If you can remove the headliner shell from the truck and take it to a interior shop that
always decreases the cost of the job. Mines cost me $75-$80.00 back in 2008 to have it recovered at the local interior shop that I deal with. Since I had already pulled my seats, interior trim panels, carpet, visors and dome light it was an easy R/R for me .

Last edited:

2tone95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ya if u take uninstall and install yourself it will be less expensive but u dont have to remove seats and all that to remove headliner

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've done several myself in different vehicles and let me say this, buy the most expensive glue you can basically.

Not joking, I bought the cheap crap, and the first day it got past 80 with the windows up it dropped, I also tried the 3m 77 I think trim adhesive, didn't work, So I would suggest the 3m super adhesive 90, you can buy it at lowes, or somewheres else like that, maybe homedepot, wal-mart or such.

If not then maybe an upholstery shop and see what they have.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Standard cab trucks headliner shells are no problem removing but if you have an extended cab removing the front seat/seats will make getting the shell out the cab much easier and painless.
Since I had to remove the interior trim panels to R/R the carpet
I decided to also pull the headliner and have it recovered. I also ended up doing a

60/40 bench to 2 buckets & a center console swap
dome light swap --upgraded the stock dome light to a newer dome w/map lights
lighted vanity visor swap
installed a upper center console with map lights.

1500SS

^ Money pit
Reaction score
I've done several myself in different vehicles and let me say this, buy the most expensive glue you can basically.

Not joking, I bought the cheap crap, and the first day it got past 80 with the windows up it dropped, I also tried the 3m 77 I think trim adhesive, didn't work, So I would suggest the 3m super adhesive 90, you can buy it at lowes, or somewheres else like that, maybe homedepot, wal-mart or such.

If not then maybe an upholstery shop and see what they have.

VERY true. Just redid mine with some sub-standard glue and i gotta tear out all the trim and newly added OH console to redo it with better stuff... don't cut corners on your glue.