how much to shorten drive shaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey guys so after installing my tranny the tranny guy said i need to shorten my drive shaft. i got a 1990 gmc c1500 rcsb lowered 5/8 on 22's. im wondering how much exactly should i cut it?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Is the yoke bottoming out inside the trans tail shaft? On mine, when that happened, I was given 2 options.
Have the yoke machined down about 1", or have the D/S shortened. $50.00 or $150.00. Machining the yoke doesn't require the shaft to be rebalanced.
I was suspect of the balance on mine so I went with the spendy price.

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the yoke bottoming out inside the trans tail shaft? On mine, when that happened, I was given 2 options.
Have the yoke machined down about 1", or have the D/S shortened. $50.00 or $150.00. Machining the yoke doesn't require the shaft to be rebalanced.
I was suspect of the balance on mine so I went with the spendy price.

Im not sure, i just know the shaft is really up in there and its busting the seal. You know how when you put a truck in drive or reverse it moves a tiny bit on its own? Well mine doesnt it stays put and inhave to give it a good ampunt of gas before it gets going. Also it goes *clank* when i put it in gear but i think thats my u-joint