How much oil do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My '92 ECSB doesn't use any. But my '07 Tahoe with 60k on the clock uses a quart about every 1500 miles, and GM says its normal!!! :gunner:

When I was at the parts store buying a gallon of oil so that I had plenty to keep it topped off I mentioned that I was starting to lose(burn) oil and the guy there told me the same thing. Apparently with the new GM engines it's normal to use a quart between oil changes. Sure seems odd to me.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My '92 ECSB doesn't use any. But my '07 Tahoe with 60k on the clock uses a quart about every 1500 miles, and GM says its normal!!! :gunner:
A lot of these LS motor's have pcv and crankcase breather issues and they vaporize oil in the intake manifold, I fixed mine by puting small breather filter's on each valve cover. Now I don't loose the oil and my intake is still clean inside.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
A lot of these LS motor's have pcv and crankcase breather issues and they vaporize oil in the intake manifold, I fixed mine by puting small breather filter's on each valve cover. Now I don't loose the oil and my intake is still clean inside.

Now to affix the egr plug!!! or have you already done that?

Just a small bit of info, but the PCV system works in 2 different ways: The gas PCV is designed to keep residual gas fumes from collecting in your oil(gas breaks down oil). The diesel PCV is designed to cause a vacuum in your crankcase to stop oil seepage thru the gaskets. Diesel doesn't break down oil, unlike gasoline.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I already have it done, I have another 02 burb with a 5.3 that I am going to do next.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it the GenIII Ls motors or the GenIV or both? I've only heard about it on newer trucks/burbs. I haven't ever noticed my mom's 03 burb using much oil.

Wwildman

Reaction score
212k on the clock of my 95 I keep the oil changed every 5k with synthetic 5w-30. I do not lose but maybe a 1/2 quart between changes .

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
what are you guys running for oil, i've got a rebuilt 350 and i run 10W-40 to keep the lifters quiet(er), i've kinda always been wondering if its too thick though.