How much oil do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run 5w-30 in the winter and 10w-30 in the summer, my 95 350 doesnt use any oil and lifters dont complain either.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
First post, good a place as any I guess. 94 Sierra 5.7 TBI. 300k on the factory motor. Uses/leaks no oil at all. Doesn't use or leak any fluid for that matter. Truck was brought up on Castrol 10w30 until around 2003. Then I started using Mobil Clean 5,000(now its called Super 5,000). Change it every 2-3k as the truck has been used soley for heavy towing since 100k.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My lifters get a little bitchy in the morning for a minute with 10w30.

Is it when the oil is cold and thicker? Just a thought, but it could also be your front main bearing. I've had that noise before on an engine, thought it was lifters, but it was a worn front main that talked on startup, but quieted down once oil pressure built up and the oil was able to cushion the movement of the crankshaft.

Either way, my old 350 wouldn't have liked 30 weight at ANY rpm cold or warm haha.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Is it when the oil is cold and thicker? Just a thought, but it could also be your front main bearing. I've had that noise before on an engine, thought it was lifters, but it was a worn front main that talked on startup, but quieted down once oil pressure built up and the oil was able to cushion the movement of the crankshaft.

Either way, my old 350 wouldn't have liked 30 weight at ANY rpm cold or warm haha.

Yeah only happens when its really cold outside and the oil is 10w30 (thicker of course). I think its the common old Piston Slap people call it.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First post, good a place as any I guess. 94 Sierra 5.7 TBI. 300k on the factory motor. Uses/leaks no oil at all. Doesn't use or leak any fluid for that matter. Truck was brought up on Castrol 10w30 until around 2003. Then I started using Mobil Clean 5,000(now its called Super 5,000). Change it every 2-3k as the truck has been used soley for heavy towing since 100k.
That's pretty dang good! 300k is fantastic! Especially with heavy load conditions for 2/3s of it's life!

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
hmm, my 40 weight oil does quiet it all down once its warmed up a little, i'm quite sure its my lifters, the guy i got it from said it was like that since rebuilt 100k ago. I was considering try 20-50 but thats gotta be too thick in winter, I run the 10-40 year round. and you can tell when you start it in the winter.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
That's pretty dang good! 300k is fantastic! Especially with heavy load conditions for 2/3s of it's life!

Yeah I've been overly impressed with this one. I've had numerous other trucks, and other 350s, and never had one last this long with no issues. I do go through 4L60s every 100k or so. I expect it because of the weight. Haven't gone to the 4L80 yet. It is also on the factory 10 bolt. I change the gear oil every 50k. I'll toss up some pictures later. Raining right now.

TBI355

Reaction score
My 95 silverado had 184k on the original, and used a quart every 150-200 miles. Valve seals in #4 were gone. Pull #4 plug and it looked like coral caked on there. Ran that thing out of oil so many times. Expressway on my way to work @85-90 mph, look down, and NO oil pressure. drove it five more miles to gas station for 4 quarts. Started it up and it quit ticking, ran perfect. that was the worst one, but did it many times. I called it my miracle motor. Just sold it to a guy for $350. It will probably go another 50 or 60k with recon heads and a new oil pump. LOL