How much oil do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My tbi, I just change it when it's a quart low. Seems to average every 6 months, probably 4-5K miles. I just brought home a 2000 w/vortec 5.7 the other day so I'll update that after I get a few miles on it.

My yukon has impressed me, doesn't use or burn a measurable amount (but it's LQ4). I can run 5k oil changes on a 170K mile motor, and the oil comes out honey colored. My tbi is blacker than hell within a week.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got like 60k original miles and my 350 uses a quart every 3,000 miles.....

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
6500 miles and 4 quarts a oil change.. idk whats going on there haha j/k no oil burning here, the girlfriends ranger burns about a quart per oil change due to rear main seal.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. Like I said I used to burn about 1 quart per change but lately that seems to have skyrocketed.

It hasn't been very long that it seems like it's oil thirsty but at the moment signs are looking like I'm getting about 200 miles to the quart. :uhoh2:

I don't have any spots on the ground where I park but I'll watch that close and I'll also try to climb under the truck and see if I can see oil drips anywhere. This weekend I'm not going to be driving my truck at all so it will sit parked for several days in a row and I can see if there are any spots after it has sat for an extended period...

I'm getting nervous... I don't want my engine to be giving up on me yet because I don't have the money saved up for an LS swap like I want to do and I really don't have the money for a rebuild either...

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
My 98 that went through oil like I go through beer had a blown rear main and never had any oil spots under it but when you climbed up underneath the truck you could see it big time.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 98 that went through oil like I go through beer had a blown rear main and never had any oil spots under it but when you climbed up underneath the truck you could see it big time.

Yeah I'm going to try to climb up under it as soon as I get the time to. I also need to fix a rattle that I think might be a heat shield. so I need to do both of those up under there.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My baby doesn't use any and I have 180K on the clock but I have had my truck since day one. I change my oil every 3K miles now im using Castrol high mileage oil.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
My '92 ECSB doesn't use any. But my '07 Tahoe with 60k on the clock uses a quart about every 1500 miles, and GM says its normal!!! :gunner:

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Mine drinks a quart or 2 between oil changes, and i change it at 4000kms, has ever since i owned it, hasent gotten worse, I just gotta remember to check, pretty sure its leaking somewhere near the front of the crank.