how hard is it to swap engines.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusnoetos

Reaction score
I have a 1998 c2500 with the vortec 350 in it. I am sadly convinced that one or more of the rod bearings is shot. :banghead:
For the cost involved I think a full engine replacement is the best option.

I have never pulled an engine before... I need a true and honest assessment of how hard it is to do.

Aside from the engine hoist Is there any special tools I would need?

Any help or advice would be great!

Reaction score
Just hand tools, and some kind of lifting apparatus (trees and pulleys will work if you're willing). Extra muscle helps a lot, preferably grab a buddy who has done this before. Plenty of threads, you tube videos, and manuals that can walk you through the specific steps.

Reaction score
Also i've found long extensions to reach over the tranny to the bellhousing bolts are a lifesaver if you don't wish to pull the whole drive train as an assembly..

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've never done it, but if you have the space and time, and are simply replacing an engine with a like engine, I wouldn't think it would be hard at all. However, if your pressed for time, don't have the space and lack tools, I would not even attempt it. If you haven't done much mechanical work in the past it's probably not a good idea to start with an engine swap.

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i started pulling the 350 out of my 90 2500 4x4 and realized the hoist wouldnt lift the motor high enough to clear the rad support, had to stack alot of lumber and cinder blocks under the legs of the hoist, not the ideal way to go about that

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i started pulling the 350 out of my 90 2500 4x4 and realized the hoist wouldnt lift the motor high enough to clear the rad support, had to stack alot of lumber and cinder blocks under the legs of the hoist, not the ideal way to go about that

EASY and more importantly SAFE way around that is once you are ready to actually start using the hoist is to remove (or air down) the front tires and then using a floor jack lower the front end of the truck down until you can safely clear the road support.

Anyway OP - before you start taking anything apart grab your phone and snap a few pictures. Then grab some masking tape and a marker - tag every wire/connector you take off (example 1/1 2/2 3/3 or if you know what the component is just put “ig module” or “egr” whatever you want so you know 2 weeks from now what the wire will go to.

That said it’s not rocket science, take your time on disassembly and label everything. Will help a 1st timer immensely. Hell it helps everybody lol. If you are getting a used engine consider replacing the rear main seal, timing cover and crank seal and oil pan gasket. The rear main especially - as it can only be accessed by separating the trans from engine. The other 2 are just easier outside the engine bay.

Can’t think of any “specialtly” tools you will need. Just a good set of sockets, a swivel, a few wrenches.
Grab a bag of zip ties or bungee cords so you can “hold” the ac compressor and power steering pump off to the side out of your way once they are disconnected from the engine this way you don’t have to unhook the lines from them.

Deathpunch0311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure you LABEL EVERYTHING!!!
If you have a friend you can do it in a weekend. Me and my wife swapped the motor out of my truck in a weekend. :p

Reaction score
EASY and more importantly SAFE way around that is once you are ready to actually start using the hoist is to remove (or air down) the front tires and then using a floor jack lower the front end of the truck down until you can safely clear the road support.

Anyway OP - before you start taking anything apart grab your phone and snap a few pictures. Then grab some masking tape and a marker - tag every wire/connector you take off (example 1/1 2/2 3/3 or if you know what the component is just put “ig module” or “egr” whatever you want so you know 2 weeks from now what the wire will go to.

That said it’s not rocket science, take your time on disassembly and label everything. Will help a 1st timer immensely. Hell it helps everybody lol. If you are getting a used engine consider replacing the rear main seal, timing cover and crank seal and oil pan gasket. The rear main especially - as it can only be accessed by separating the trans from engine. The other 2 are just easier outside the engine bay.

Can’t think of any “specialtly” tools you will need. Just a good set of sockets, a swivel, a few wrenches.
Grab a bag of zip ties or bungee cords so you can “hold” the ac compressor and power steering pump off to the side out of your way once they are disconnected from the engine this way you don’t have to unhook the lines from them.
A 2 piece rear main seal can be replaced with the trans on.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some things to consider - how will you get the timing set after the swap? the exhaust manifold bolts might need to be replaced, or the bolts removed/replaced where the exhaust manifold attaches to the exhaust. Add up the cost of the coolant. Be prepared to brace the trans up when you finally get the engine pryed away from the trans..

While swapping motors isn't terrible, if I weren't set up to do it - I would try to find a buddy that would do it for a few hundred or more.