High speed stability? (both 2wd and 4wd)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

column_shift

Reaction score
Being as i'm not used to the idea of driving pickups and such at very fast speeds, but have seen people with some very fast timeslips on occasion reaching into the triple digits even if not for very long, I was curious if there were any rules of thumb, commentary, or knowledge on how these various trucks feel when going well beyond legal speeds? (generally on private tracks one would assume) Meaning in all cases, 2wd or 4wd or AWD versions, 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton, and similar.

Not on these chassis directly but when I was younger I had a 2wd 77 chevy half ton around 130mph in my stupid youth and routinely took that thing up to 100mph and above and was always amazed at how stable it felt both in terms of weight transfer being controlled and aerodynamics despite being a brick. I cannot say that I felt as safe in other pickups i've ever tried but don't know if that's due to 4wd, solid axles, or what.

I'm genuinely curious about people who have raced or had things on tracks or otherwise had chances to drive them fast (anything 100mph and over) wondering whether heavy weight keeps them planted, or if at some speed aerodynamics becomes a concern, or if the suspensions feel scary and unstable at certain speeds. I remember reading way back in the day about someone building a 200mph 1/2 ton 2wd for some record or race or another in a Hot Rod magazine and I guess it still amazes me that pickups could ever feel safe or controllable at those speeds vs purpose built cars...

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
At high speeds, tire construction is a big factor in how a vehicle feels, as well as the condition of all suspension pivots and bushings.

Under high lateral loads, steel wheels can deflect enough that trim rings and or pressure fit hubcaps will remove themselves.

I have driven in pickups exceeding 100 mph, one is a drag only dodge pickup with a healthy big block that runs low 12's, and another with frightening power on the street, the combination of 3.08 gearing, 29" rubber, a healthy high compression roller cam vortec engine that made power to 7000 rpm, and a 4 speed automatic.

In all honesty, I have no idea how fast that truck got up to, but the math shows scary speeds.

Dropping down to a 27" tall tire with better construction made the truck feel a lot more competent and stable at high speeds.