Hid splicing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I have an hid question, I am making off road lights out of h3 bulbs I think 6K style.. My question, from the bulb to the ballast, can I splice a longer wire from the ballast to the bulb so I can put my light further away from the ballast, such as ballast under the hood and light on roof or grill etc.. I think I need atleast 5 ft of cord spliced in (with a solder ofcource) my question is it safe with hid to cut then solder on a longer piece of wire?

Live action!!

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hhmm. I'm not sure. It's pretty high voltage but I would think as long as everything is soldered good and the wire is the right size (I'd go up in size) it would be fine.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hhmm. I'm not sure. It's pretty high voltage but I would think as long as everything is soldered good and the wire is the right size (I'd go up in size) it would be fine.
Should I melt river around the solder afterwards? Or black tape it?

Live action!!

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what melt river is?

But I would definitely get some good heat shrink. The kind with the glue in it that melts to make a water tight seal.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what melt river is?

But I would definitely get some good heat shrink. The kind with the glue in it that melts to make a water tight seal.
Lol melt rubber like what's around wire.. The rubber sleeves..

Live action!!

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah that's the shrink tube (I think thats what you mean anyway)

When I make something that I know will be exposed to water and the elements, I shrink wrap it, then coat it in liquid electrical tape to be extra sure it's sealed.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah that's the shrink tube (I think thats what you mean anyway)

When I make something that I know will be exposed to water and the elements, I shrink wrap it, then coat it in liquid electrical tape to be extra sure it's sealed.
Thanks I'll have to get some liquid tape.. I'm new to the soldering world.. This is my first attempt at making my own lights

Live action!!