Help with stock suspension overhaul(98 Silverado) and belt squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A couple of things. For about the last month, I'm getting a real bad squeak when I start up. It will basically last until I get down the block and make a turn and then goes away until the next time I start my truck. Doesn't matter if I've been driving for an hour and only shut it off for 2 minutes to go into a gas station, or if I have been sitting for a while. I'm guessing something to do with the PS pump or PS pulley. Just wondering if there is a common issue around this. Belt is new as I just recently replaced my WP.

Recently had an issue where I had to take my truck in to diagnose a coolant leak. I thought it was the radiator, but it turned out to be the water pump. I ordered the parts and replaced it and all is well on that front.

In addition, the shop gave me a list of stuff that would need to be corrected before my next inspection. Keep in mind that this is a shop that I have frequented for years. They know that I get certain things from them but that for the most part I do my own work. Basically I'm saying that if they say something is bad, or needs replacement, then it really does.

So the list of things they said need fixing were,
"idler arm and pitman arms are loose", "needs both inner and outer tie rod ends".

I have completely replaced the suspension on my car before, but the truck suspensions are new to me. I did some searching around on here for writeups on replacing these items, but haven't found what I was looking for. Wondering if there are other things I should try to replace while I'm doing this stuff. I think I have my truck in my sig, but if not it's a 1998 extended cab Z71.

If any of you can link me to the appropriate writeups, I would appreciate it if they exist.

How difficult are these things to replace?
Are there any special tools that are needed?
Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks in advance.

MNZ71

Reaction score
All of those parts can be pretty easily replaced in an afternoon with basic hand tools. To replace the pitman arm you need to remove the steering box to get at the nut. Also, measure the distance between the tie rod ends before you replace them and that will get your alignment close enough so you can drive it to a shop to have it aligned when you're done.

JJHUSSY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never had to remove the box to get the pitman... but maybe its because mines an 88?

What I did was undo both outer tie rods, unbolt the idler from the frame, and pull the pitman from the box.
This allows you to replace all of your parts, and slide it all back in. At least, thats what I did.

As for the squeal, sounds like a P/S pump to me.