Help with Chassis resto!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

one320fc

Reaction score
So I am collecting parts to restore my 95 Z71 and currently working on the bed area. I have new brake lines, fuel lines, body mounts, bushings and new shocks. Now I need to do something to the chassis while the bed is off, any recommendations on supplies? I'm pretty sure the rust is going to be tackled with wire wheels and a siphon feed media blaster but I cant decide on what to spray it with. Rattle can black? or POR-15 top coat chassis black? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!

Johnc1500

Reaction score
Not sure on how much you want the truck to weigh, but one of my friends done a frame off on a 80's model and he Line-x'ed the frame, and it looks awesome/no rust. but me I don't want any extra weight and I am about to have to deal with rust too, but a good sanding and some rust killing paint should do the trick!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
POR-15 is great stuff but you must, must, must read the instructions. At very minimum read the short sheet of instructions "for people who hate to read instructions."

You don't want to spray POR-15 because if it gets in your lungs, you're toast. Moisture catalyzes it.

Any areas of POR-15 that are exposed to regular sunlight will turn grayish over time. Paint is still good, just not shiny black anymore. Not a big issue on chassis parts.

I did the frame, cab floor, and firewall/cowl on my 3500HD with it -
You must be registered for see images attach

Oh, and it WANTS a slightly rough surface. So don't go crazy and grind everything down to smooth bare steel. If you've got any shiny bare steel you'll want to use their metal prep product on it first, or the POR-15 (and pretty much anything else you might choose instead) will just peel off later.

Richard

one320fc

Reaction score
Yea don't think I want to spray that stuff! How much POR-15 did it take to do your frame? Eastwood seems to have a decent price on it and I can buy it by the pint quart or gallon.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think I used about 1.5 quarts, but that included wasting some when it ate through a styrofoam bowl I was using! They just said "dont paint directly from the container" (to avoid contaminating the supply) didn't say it would eat through some materials. ;) Also I used quite a bit on the cab. A quart might get a whole frame done.

Richard

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
i'm a firm believer in POR-15. this is my truck just before it was painted.

after, with POR-15..

then again after the rear section was cut on to install air ride.

in this pic ^^^^ the frame rails before the notch and after the notch were not painted this day. that is when they were painted 2yrs earlier (above pic). i POR'd the notch, wishbone, gas tank crossmember, and lower link bars. the rest was just pressure washed prior to the POR application on the new steel.

one320fc

Reaction score
Man that looks great! I would like to achieve the same look with mine. I have a budget of $3500 so I am trying my best to make it as nice without getting a divorce!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I guess I could have posted a "before" pic too! :gr_grin:

Richard

one320fc

Reaction score
Looking at both threads in this truck give me hope! My truck is in pretty rough shape!