HELP!!! Removed front diff now no brakes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
99 suburban 5.7 4l60e 4x4 push button auto 4x4

I removed the front diff on the truck along with the cv axles and replaced the oil pan gasket. I went to go move the suburban and I have no brakes now. Te peddle goes straight to the floor and nothing. The only way I can stop is the parking brake. Any input would be great.

Thanks.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn't bust a line did you? Also if you removed your CV shafts don't drive it. Your wheel bearings will have a very short life without anything holding them together.........

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't bust any lines. I was under the suburban for about 30 min checking things out after I found out I had no brakes. But I did just notice that when the brakes are applied the driver side front leans inward from the top. I assuming that the brakes are trying to pull the disk and hub back towards the center. Is this a sign that the wheel bearing is shot?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possibly. That's probably most of your issue right there. But seriously don't drive it with out the CVs. If they are not there, there isn't any preload on the hubs.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
You can not drive these trucks without a cv shaft holding the hub together... You will make it about 10 feet, trust me, I've seen it done!!! If your trying to do that, that's probably your problem, if you've moved the truck at all without your cv shafts in you should probably replace your hubs.

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for the info. I just had moved it back 10 feet or so in a straight line to clean underneath and I couldn't stop so inflamed the parking brake down. The i moved the truck back up and I'm about to put the suburban back up on the jack stands

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well good thing I car pool to work. Just got it back on the stands and the front passenger side wobbles around like you put a 1/4" bolt thru a 1/2" hole.

I just wanted to thank you both on your quick replays and probably saving me a crap load of money on other broken parts.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
No problem, sorry you had to learn the hard way. The hubs aren't repairable so no need in disassembling them. Rockauto.com usually has pretty good prices on wheel hubs.