HELP!! Put on new wheels but the covers won't fit on the my original lugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Albert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, it sounds like you just need to get correct year lugs for the correct year wheel. In every wheel swap I've ever witnessed the lugs went with their original wheel. See if whoever you traded with has the '05 lugs.

I think you would be making way more work for yourself altering the caps. Try this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Pc-CHEVY-SILVERADO-1500-FACTORY-OEM-TYPE-GOLD-ZINK-14m-x-1-50-LUG-NUTS-2009-/271938993602?fits=Year:2005|Make:Chevrolet&hash=item3f50d3bdc2:g:vCcAAOSw~CRTpZ4F&vxp=mtr

Thank you owner doesn't have the lugs so I can order these an be fine with installation?

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe so, that's the right concept, however I would double check and cross reference everything before you order them. I'm not 100% confident in saying yes because lug nut dimensions just aren't common knowledge. Does that make sense?

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
You're not understanding me the picture above in the thread are the caps that go with the new 17s I just got. There not threading on the lugs my old lugs sit flush on the wheels not threads are showing to allow the new wheel cover to attach if that makes any sense maybe someone has encountered thus before

My apologies, I completely misunderstood and didn't spend enough time reading what your actual issue was.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Might want to look inside those plastic fake lug caps. Some are designed to snap over lugs that are not externally threaded. I've had a few sets of those newer wheels but honestly can't remember the design as it's been years. Some of the fake lug caps thread on, some snap on. Most of the GMT400 ones thread onto the lugs that were linked earlier.

Richard

Kirth Gersen

Reaction score
When I bought 2005 OEM GM wheels and center covers for my 1994 k-Blazer, I also had to buy new lug nuts. The 2005 lug nuts were a little shorter and had partial threading on the outside , so the cover's fake nuts would screw on & attach to the real nuts.

Albert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might want to look inside those plastic fake lug caps. Some are designed to snap over lugs that are not externally threaded. I've had a few sets of those newer wheels but honestly can't remember the design as it's been years. Some of the fake lug caps thread on, some snap on. Most of the GMT400 ones thread onto the lugs that were linked earlier.

Richard

Yes I looked inside they thread on the lug nuts I ordered lug nuts with 2 sets of threads 1 for the studs an other is for the wheel caps

Albert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I bought 2005 OEM GM wheels and center covers for my 1994 k-Blazer, I also had to buy new lug nuts. The 2005 lug nuts were a little shorter and had partial threading on the outside , so the cover's fake nuts would screw on & attach to the real nuts.

You got it! That's what happened I ordered the right lugs should be here Tomorrow.