Help! Power steering leak and no brakes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, last night I started leaking power steering fluid. I don't have time to fix it until this weekend when I'm not working. Today I topped up the power steering today just so I can get to and from work. On my way i started losing pressure in my brakes.

It's a 1998 K1500. 5.7 L vortec...

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
you probly have the hydroboost braking system. do you have a picture of the master cylinder?

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
you probly have the hydroboost braking system. do you have a picture of the master cylinder?

I didn't think I did. Because it's a 1500, I was under the impression that diesels had the hydroboost. I'll send a pic on my lunch break.

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't think I did. Because it's a 1500, I was under the impression that diesels had the hydroboost. I'll send a pic on my lunch break.
thats what i was thinking as well. do you have a large vaccum booster on firewall

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
unfortunately those are not hydroboost brakes. pump the brakes a bunch and start looking for a brake fluid leak. i wouldnt drive it until you find it. pinholes from rust turn into blown lines in a hurry leaving you with no brakes. the power steering is probably the gear box or high psi line. also you brake fluid reservoir looks empty.

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea you dont have hydroboost. like biggershaft said look for a leak or listen for a hiss in the cab when you step on the brakes. the reservoir does look empty.

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the powersteering pump from my experience usually leak from the evo area which is on the pressure line attatched to the pump. all the new pumps you find wont have the the evo anymore. they sell an evo bypass pipe if you are using a stock replacement line. they also have a line at the autoparts store that does a 180* turn instead of using the bypass fitting. i would use the bypass and stay away from anything autozone brand. use acdelco when you can. take your time tracing the powersteering leak. some trucks have a small cooler that fits inside the frame rail in the front of the driver side. blast it with brake cleaner and follow the lines

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
while looking for your brake leak look at the inside of the rear tires for wetness the wheel cylinders could be leaking too.

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
unfortunately those are not hydroboost brakes. pump the brakes a bunch and start looking for a brake fluid leak. i wouldnt drive it until you find it. pinholes from rust turn into blown lines in a hurry leaving you with no brakes. the power steering is probably the gear box or high psi line. also you brake fluid reservoir looks empty.

Yes I think it's pressure line. It's dark now so it's hard to tell.
The reservoir was only a little low. Nothing dramatic, I'm not sure what the problem was but I jammed the brakes a whole bunch of times and they seem to have came back fine. Air bubble? I don't know