HELP!!!! OIL PAN GASKET

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whats up guys im stuck here trying to replace my oil pan gasket. This is on a 1990 GMC sierra c1500 4.3L 2wd. I got everything off bolts and oil cooler adapter but now my motor mount is blocking me. Am i going to have to go buy an engine crane to lift it to get my oil pan off? Id try lifting it from the front with a wooden block but i have a stupid thing in the way(shown in picture) I really dont want to have to go buy a crane help me please!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 44

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Not familier with 2wd front ends but if you have to you can rent a cherry picker if you have to

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will have to lift the engine up. The crossmember is in the way. It is very easy to lift it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will have to lift the engine up. The crossmember is in the way. It is very easy to lift it out

I feared youd say that... My problem is how exactly to lift it i dont have a lift and as my post states i have something in the way to lift it with a block from the front

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You would have to rent a cherry picker or see if any of your friends have them.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
"Cherry picker" is slang these guys are using for engine crane or engine lift.

Call your local rental place and ask for an engine crane.

The 2wd trucks have that protrusion on the cross member. It's kind of a skid plate protection thing since the 2wd trucks tend to be lower and "nose down" compared to 4x4's. Unfortunately, it means you have to lift the engine from the top in order for hte oil pan to clear the main bearing caps and crossmember at the same time..

Cranking it up by the harmonic balancer isn't a great idea anyways. It works and I've even done it before, but that a lot of load to put on a crank snout, the #1 main bearing and the balancer in a way it was not designed to be loaded.

I'm not saying it won't work, it's just not something I do any longer.

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ima have to go find one then i think my uncle has one ima have to ask him and since ime be doing this should i just change my motor mounts? The truck has 190k miles and i think theyve never been changed. Anyone ever use the autozone duralast ones? They any good?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If they have never been changed.... it wouldn't hurt as you will only have a couple extra bolts per side to remove them after you lift the motor up. When you lift it be careful of not lifting it so far that the distributor hits the firewall...If it does depending on how hard it hits or pushes it, it would need a new cap if busted or worse with enough pressure you can snap the base.. same goes for the oil pressure sending unit. It sits right under and to the rear of the distributor base...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you talking the engine side motor mounts or the frame rail side side with the clamshell bushing