Help me spend money on my 1996 tahoe 2-door 2wd!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maroon88iroc

Reaction score
Custom notch. Don`t know if this will help ya though.

You must be registered for see images attach

this is on a 2 door tahoe?

the brace in the far left of the picture looks to be what I am talking about but on my 2 door tahoe it looks to me like the brace is right where my C-notch will go. I wont know 100% untill I get the flip kit installed so I can see where the rear-end will hit the frame so I know exactly where the frame needs to be notched.

thanks a bunch for the pics man they really help.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score

maroon88iroc

Reaction score

Thanks for the pics! looks like you didnt have to modify that crossmember at all, thats great news!

Also did my research on the shocks for the truck today. Going to run 96 Astro shocks up front (32066) and MA702 Air shocks for the rear with the flip kit. I got the Monroe shocks spec book out to find the correct end type shocks that match the compressed and extended lengths of the recommended DJM drop shocks. this will save me some $ as the front monroe shocks are $21 each and the air shocks are $61 for the pair. so right at $100 in the whole set and they are at my local parts store. Hopefully finishing the rear flip kit tomorrow evening.

Last edited:

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Sorry it took so long, I was remembering a member with those Corvette wheels.

Username: SixSpeedSS

Here's his intro thread: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?5449-Noob-Pittsburgh-PA-area

Here are some pics. I think he pulls them off very well, but I'm not sure how they would look on a Tahoe.

maroon88iroc

Reaction score

Here's his intro thread: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?5449-Noob-Pittsburgh-PA-area

Here are some pics. I think he pulls them off very well, but I'm not sure how they would look on a Tahoe.

Awesome Truck! I wish he had listed what width adapters he used tho! I sent him an e-mail maybe he will respond.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
You should use the correct shocks in the rear with the extenders. They correct the shock angle. Shorter shocks in the factory mounts will be at to severe an angle to do anything.

maroon88iroc

Reaction score
You should use the correct shocks in the rear with the extenders. They correct the shock angle. Shorter shocks in the factory mounts will be at to severe an angle to do anything.

I will be using the shock extenders that came with my flip kit for the rear. I will be using air shocks that are almost the same length extended/compressed as the recommended DJM Drop shocks for use with the flip kit. I saw several people using air shocks with their flip kit on OBS but they were using the stock replacement length Air shocks with the Flip kit... I wanted to find a set of air shocks that matched the DJM drop shocks a little closer. I dug into the Monroe catalog and found some monroe air shocks that are the 20" extended and 12" compressed and DJM recommended 18.5" extended and 10.5" compressed, so these should work perfect for me. Those are the MA702 part # Monroe's.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score

SixSpeedSS (Gregg) did more than just spacers to get those wheels on there. A lot more! Check his build thread. One amazing truck!

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee137/greggmartucci/P6180027.jpg

BH...Looks like your rear sway bar links need a bit of relocation. Forward. Those bars from the frame to the sway bar should be vertically straight up & down for the s-bar to work at is fullest potential.

Last edited:

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
I will be using the shock extenders that came with my flip kit for the rear. I will be using air shocks that are almost the same length extended/compressed as the recommended DJM Drop shocks for use with the flip kit. I saw several people using air shocks with their flip kit on OBS but they were using the stock replacement length Air shocks with the Flip kit... I wanted to find a set of air shocks that matched the DJM drop shocks a little closer. I dug into the Monroe catalog and found some monroe air shocks that are the 20" extended and 12" compressed and DJM recommended 18.5" extended and 10.5" compressed, so these should work perfect for me. Those are the MA702 part # Monroe's.

Oh. It kinda sounded like you weren't gonna use them. :shrug:

BH...Looks like your rear sway bar links need a bit of relocation. Forward. Those bars from the frame to the sway bar should be vertically straight up & down for the s-bar to work at is fullest potential.

Been that way since '98
:lol:
Don't think I'd notice much difference on a suburban, but thanks!

maroon88iroc

Reaction score
SixSpeedSS (Gregg) did more than just spacers to get those wheels on there. A lot more! Check his build thread. One amazing truck!

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee137/greggmartucci/P6180027.jpg

Can you link me to his build thread? I could only find his thread for the 2500 truck and his website is down..

thanks,
-Gibson