Help me choose headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

asolek88

Reaction score
I am looking at getting headers for my truck. its a 96 c1500 with a vortech supercharger and some other goodies. The stock manifolds need to go! I am looking at getting a set of doug throley tri-y headers or going with a set of cheep pacesetter full length. It sucks to buy headers because of the stupid air injection really, narrows down the selection. Are the try-ys a full length??? Give me some suggestions thanks.

bai78

Surviving...
Reaction score
The DT Tri-Y's are technically a mid length header. It's a good product especially with the 2 1/2" crossover piping. The o2 bungs are just at the spot where you don't need to extend the wires/pigtails.

I wasn't aware that DT's had the AIR injection option.

How much boost are you making with that Vortech?

asolek88

Reaction score
8lbs I like it a lot it sounds great. I am new to the forum I still gotta add some pictures of my truck. I have a pretty sweet truck, Got the charger and a fully built tci tranny with a stall. Its currently in a garage getting 4.10's and a tru trac locking installed. I need headers and exaust bad tho. I see you have the marine intake going onto your truck? Hows that going for yah?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
do you need or have to keep the air injection crap? I ditched mine and run ebay shorties in stainless.

asolek88

Reaction score
I dunno good question.... Id like the answer cause I bought a nice set of hooker full lengths and when they came in the mail and I saw they didnt have an air hook up I returned them for nitrous.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well do you have to pass emissions tests? If not you should be able to get rid of it. I did. My truck had no cats when I got it, and I removed the smog pump and air lines, and got a shorter belt.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea you might want to keep it then. I'd get some headers with smog tubes and o2 for sure. You might be limited to shorties? Or maybe someone can make the long tubes work, weld in bungs for the air tubes?

bai78

Surviving...
Reaction score
...I see you have the marine intake going onto your truck? Hows that going for yah?

I'm ironing out kinks in the 411 before I do the intake swap. I can't wait though, it is practically ready to drop in along with the LS3 42#ers! The injector harness is still in the works.

6789olds

Reaction score
i noticed some headers have 1.5 inch primary tubes and the others 1 5/8 primary tubes i would thing the larger tubes would be better ? any have info on that ?