HELP!! check engine light/ oil problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Soo it turns out I'm just stupid :slap: I was out of gas.. The crap performance was due to my fuel gauge lying to me, so it was sucking up the gunk and water in the bottom of the tank, I've now filled the tank and added some heat to it and it runs fine now. Sorry for creating false urgency about this, I just have so much to learn when it comes to mechanics.. and there was no lack of oil, I had just shut it off when I checked so all the oil was still draining to the pan so now its got 6 quarts of oil.

Johnbalderas90k1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol Hey you have to start somewhere. I was doing some pretty dumb stuff when I first started trying to fix my own vehicles (like putting gear oil in my engine).

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

98chevyrider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So did your random misfire code get fixed?

vortec powered smartphone

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
So did your random misfire code get fixed?

she runs now, like after putting $50 of gas in she runs but the check engine light still blinks and rpms are higher than what they were when cruising, when sitting an idling rpms are lower also.. I was curious if the extra quart of oil had anything to do with this. also it still shakes a lot.. maybe it just needs to cycle the bad sh$t out? I'm worried that now i've actually done damage cause this incident.

98chevyrider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run about 600rpms at idle after warm up 900-1000 before warm up and running 55mph i run 1700ish rpms but i also have stock gears with 35" tires what kind of rpms are you running ?

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
I run about 600rpms at idle after warm up 900-1000 before warm up and running 55mph i run 1700ish rpms but i also have stock gears with 35" tires what kind of rpms are you running ?

well cold I run the same at idle, warm idle is about 700 maybe, not quite sure, been a while since i started it when it was still warm. when cruising 55 it would idle at about 1400 and a little over 60mph would put me at about 1600rpm. since everything has happened cold idle is still the same but when its warm and i'm at a stop sign/ light it goes down to about 600 an it gets slightly rougher sounding and cruising 55 now is 1600-1700 and it shakes a lot when you put your foot in it and it doesn't get up an go like it used to.

tires are 265/75's, not like it really matters.

Last edited:

98chevyrider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it were me i would clear my codes and see what pops back up i had a random misfire on mine cylinder 1,3,8 missed over 150 times in less then a min. I changed my dist. And it took care of that. Now im fighting either MAF or cam shaft pos. Sensor.. but like i said i would clear codes and see what one shows back up and go from there hope this helps
Mike

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
just thought I'd give an update about how things are going.. well my engine is still throwing misfire code and rpms are still higher than they should be, I've noticed that it doesn't shift like it normally does either with the misfire happening. Because of the misfire also I've been running rather rich, so rich that I ruined my bank 2 cat so now I'm running cat deletes, which is nice cause I've been wanting to do something to my exhaust anyway. should I check my plugs? I'd love to have her back in tip top running condition.. my wallet would appreciate it!

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your plugs out it couldn't hurt to see what they look like, your truck could be running like crap cause it might have sucked up all the crap in the bottom of the tank, maybe clogging and injector along with your other issues

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk