HELP!! check engine light/ oil problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Check your plugs out it couldn't hurt to see what they look like, your truck could be running like crap cause it might have sucked up all the crap in the bottom of the tank, maybe clogging and injector along with your other issues

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

I checked plugs yesterday and they definitely need changed so that'll be the next step when I get more $$ I hope its just that my injectors need cleaned cause people I've talked to have brought up the possibility that I may have a burnt exhaust valve, so I'd rather it be injectors than new heads! but its more than likely that crap got sucked up from the bottom of the tank.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Try running some Techron good stuff

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

so far i've used a small bottle of Lucas fuel injector cleaner, but i should probably use a 2nd bottle

edit: new bottle of lucas with a full tank of gas today!

Last edited:

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Either the fuel isn't being delivered to the the cylinder, or it isn't being ignited as it should. Could be the spider injector on your truck, as they have a habit of dieing. Also, when you get new plugs also get new wires, cap and rotor. I've thrown in plug after plug only to find out it was a spark plug wire that was the issue.

ouray19

Reaction score
Have you replaced your fuel filter? If you ran the tank so low that crap from the bottom of the tank was sucked up toward the engine, hopefully the filter caught it before it made it to the injectors. If the filter is plugged, it may be restricting your fuel flow and causing poor ignition. Just a thought.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Either the fuel isn't being delivered to the the cylinder, or it isn't being ignited as it should. Could be the spider injector on your truck, as they have a habit of dieing. Also, when you get new plugs also get new wires, cap and rotor. I've thrown in plug after plug only to find out it was a spark plug wire that was the issue.

I agree with all of this. Been there, done that; had issues with my plug wires after just changing the plugs.

Need to check fuel pressure, running out of fuel may have weaken the old fuel pump, or simply clogged the fuel filter.

Also, very common for the intake gasket to leak on the 96+ trucks. That would cause the "high RPMs" you're describing.

Also, you said you added a quart of oil the engine didn't need. If it's over the range on the dipstick, you should drain the excess. Overfilled is worse than being than being a little under filled. The crankshaft may strike the oil and cause aeration and foaming.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
I agree with all of this. Been there, done that; had issues with my plug wires after just changing the plugs.

Need to check fuel pressure, running out of fuel may have weaken the old fuel pump, or simply clogged the fuel filter.

Also, very common for the intake gasket to leak on the 96+ trucks. That would cause the "high RPMs" you're describing.

Also, you said you added a quart of oil the engine didn't need. If it's over the range on the dipstick, you should drain the excess. Overfilled is worse than being than being a little under filled. The crankshaft may strike the oil and cause aeration and foaming.

is there a test i can perform for the intake gasket? i'm not sure if the intake gasket would be a problem cause the rpm's have slowely gotten lower. No worries about the oil when i added that extra quart i was due for an oil change that happened the next day and that oil change was done about 700 miles ago, i think i agree that i should check my fuel filter out i haven't done that yet but as far as ignition goes i've checked the plugs an they really are crappy so i'm replacing them with cheapo's first to test it

(possibly a dumb question) wouldn't it be alright to assume the fuel filter is fine considering i'm running rich?

Last edited:

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
changed plugs today and it didn't really solve the issue but it made a difference idles much smoother now and those old plugs were very old, more than likely what came from factory. i found out that i need a pitman arm and idler pulley so i plan on getting those fixed when i get the money along with a fuel filter, it wouldn't hurt to change it anyway if its bad or not.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
just thought i'd bump this to keep the chit chat going, i'm open to hearing any suggestions about my problem or better ways to figure it out and i thought i'd give an update on the running condition.

Running slightly better since i've changed the plugs but i can't tell if its plugs or the lucas i've putting in the fuel. still isn't running right and she shakes a lot when under acceleration, i've noticed she shakes worse over 1500rpm. When cruising at 55 rpms are around 1550-1600 and sometimes the check engine light stops blinking and other times it is blinking, when it is blinking rpms increase, when i drive in town around 20-30mph its iffy whether or not it'll have lower rpms with the light on or higher with a blinking light, its interesting to ride in town cause you can watch the rpms bounce up an down and feel the truck pull more as you hold the gas in the same position.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
problems been diagnosed.. Spider injector is bad, must've sucked up all that gunk from the bottom of the tank an ruined it, gonna replace it with the MPFI