HELP!! check engine light/ oil problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
So i got off work today and as i start to drive home my check engine light started to blink, i thought that was weird so when i got home i got out of the truck and was smelling something bad so i checked oil thinking maybe that was it.. and it was barely on the dipstick... I'm really freaking out right now.. I love this truck and I really need this truck, I have a 1997 with 5.7 vortec, Z71. please tell me this won't cost $$$$ to fix cause I barely have $..

Last edited:

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
See any visable oil leaks? Who changed the oil last?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
this is why you should check your oil on a regular basis. is oil pressure fine? when was the last oil change? top it off then take it for a drive. does it make any knocking sounds?

Johnbalderas90k1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was the ses light flashing if so than its probably a misfire code

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Was the ses light flashing if so than its probably a misfire code

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

actually I scanned it an thats what I got, P0300 to be exact, multiple engine misfire is what the scanner said. I bought the truck around 152,000 miles and its got 156,000 now, i did the last oil change on it, i've always used mobil 1 5,000 mile oil. Oil pressure also read fine on the ride home, I haven't noticed any leaks in all my time with it, so i'm guessing its burning.

from a little bit of looking about it seems even a cat can help throw this code, my check engine light has been on for a while though, i've had an o2 sensor i need to replace. but that doesn't explain the missing oil?

Last edited:

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When's the last time you checked the oil? Does it use oil? What was the oil pressure like?

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
When's the last time you checked the oil? Does it use oil? What was the oil pressure like?

I can't even remember the last time I checked, other than last night, and I feel stupid for not checking it earlier. Oil pressure was around 40 on the gauge.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't even remember the last time I checked, other than last night, and I feel stupid for not checking it earlier. Oil pressure was around 40 on the gauge.

You should try to check it weekly or when you get gas, that's good oil pressure, does it use or leak any oil that you know of? I'd top it off check it daily for a week and add as needed and see what you find

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
I probably should do that more often, lesson learned. To my knowledge, no it does not use or leak any oil that I know of. I actually just now added a quart to see if it made a difference, but it looks like I won't be going to school today cause it died in the driveway, it had very little to no power.

I'm beginning to wonder if its possible I have 2 different problems here, maybe a plugged up cat because I've been putting off changing my o2 sensor (its bank 1 number 2, i'm aware of where it is an which it is) and maybe its just also burning a some oil at the same time?

Last edited:

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if shes burning oils its probably clogging your cat too. So one thing leads to another