HELP!! Brake lights !!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
guys- replaced brake light switch on my 96 Tahoe- the switch itself seems to “rotate” or “rock” to where after driving it after adjusting it, it doesn’t allow the lights to work.. “rotate” the switch, works fine, use brakes a few times, rotates again to where they don’t- any ideas as to what’s going on?

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
guys- replaced brake light switch on my 96 Tahoe- the switch itself seems to “rotate” or “rock” to where after driving it after adjusting it, it doesn’t allow the lights to work.. “rotate” the switch, works fine, use brakes a few times, rotates again to where they don’t- any ideas as to what’s going on?
Did you clip it down on the rod, I think yours is the same as mine on the 98, there is the little metal clip that goes over the brake rod, and the plastic case of the switch has a clip that pushes over the rod to the booster
You must be registered for see images attach

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a “groove” it appears where a flat metal piece should go into the switch- I couldn’t find anything while contorting under the dash so I connected new switch, slid switch onto the obvious rod, brakes work. The switch itself will rock a bit forward or backwards, not side to side. When using brakes, this rocking then either makes lights come on or after use, not work. Adjust the switch, good again, until using pedal. Make any sense?

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I think I hear what your saying- maybe the plastic part of the switch itself needs to clip onto the intermediate rod- maybe I haven’t snapped the switch onto that?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not the best photos, but maybe it will help. Mine is a 98 as well, the switch does not move.

View up from floor...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This helps a lot- same setup. I bet I haven’t “snapped” the plastic switch onto the rod, that’s why it’s rotating. I’ll look at it in the am when it’s light out. Replacing these is a PITA!- my hand is still swollen from Wednesday trying to remove/replace the retaing clip- need to buy some 5” bent needle nose pliers this time- lol. Thanks for helping- I’ll repost tomorrow.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good luck, I don’t envy that job. Looks like they started with the switch and built the truck around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok- turns out the replacement switch itself was the culprit!!! Returned it, New one, put in, waaalaa!!!

Now, my hand on the other hand.....

Thanks guys!! Whew- this was a challenge